• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting over

In April I did my first detail on our van. It's a 91 Astro, white. After many months and other cars I wanted to start over. I wanted to get rid of all the swirls, I did the hood last weekend between the rain. Here is a picture taken today.

It took 3hrs for those who want to know "how long does it take" but as I said I wanted to get out all the swirls.
    My steps were #83 w/maroon pad, #83 w/yellow pad, #82 w/yellow pad, #80 w/tan pad, #81 by hand, NXT w/ tan pad. I thought that was to many steps so after reading some posts by Rockpick, 2hotford, and Mike, I changed my steps for the roof.
    I went with #83 w/maroon pad, #80 w/yellow pad, #81 w/ tan pad, NXT w/ tan pad. Here are the results.

This took 7hrs, sorry for no sun shots kinda cloudy today but good working weather. I am going to do the rest the van with the 83, 80, 81, NXT. I will put on another coat of NXT tomorrow as I continue my quest. When I get finished I will show more pictures.
    White is a very hard color to do much with, and a very hard color, but I think this combo is working quite well.
    Sorry to go on, but thanks for reading my post. If you have another combo that might work better I'm open for suggestions. Thanks again.
    2005 Trailblazer LT Majestic Red Metallic
    AutoGeek's 6th Annual Detail Fest & Car Show
    1st Place-Best Overall Detail
    3rd Place-Best of Show
    March 26th, 2011

dude, where you been? hope you're not doing to much swimming around your house from that storm.
    I think you accomlished alot . they both looked cystyal clear and very wet. white is underrated sometimes. I agree with your change in procedure as well. I didn't see a difference between the two steps in the photo, but did you in person?
    top of that van had to be fun. we never seem to think of that stuff when we buy them.

one more thing, I believe (I could be wrong) that if your doing a step down thing it would be #80 before #82. but if you use one you probably wouldn't need the other as you already seemed to of figure out. so many bottles of polish so little time.
    good luck and remember to post those pics!
    2019 GMC Sierra
    1500 AT4

Comment

Hey 2000,
      Thanks for the reply. I was wondering were 80 fit in on the scale. Maybe we will get some sun today.
      Got alot of clouds but no rain. I'm in the mountains in the western part of the state, Rusty Bumper is probably getting the rain.
      Thanks again, and I'll will have more pictures.
      2005 Trailblazer LT Majestic Red Metallic
      AutoGeek's 6th Annual Detail Fest & Car Show
      1st Place-Best Overall Detail
      3rd Place-Best of Show
      March 26th, 2011

Comment

Hey mark,

As 2000 pointed out, Meguiar's #80 Speed Glaze is bewteen #82 Swirl Free Polish and #83 DACP in terms of aggressiveness.

Otherwise, the white paint has as excellent gloss! I have said it before, I like the gloss that can be obtained on white!!!

Tim
        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Nice work!!

Have you tried NXT over #80 or #82 and bypass the #81 step??

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');