• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New CRV - Decisions.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New CRV - Decisions.....

Hi - I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I'm the owner of a new 2008 CRV (Tango Red Pearl) and would like to detail the vehicle. I have a PC, and plan to wash and clay the paint first. My question is what cleaner/polish (or just polish) to use from the Mirror Glaze line before waxing? I've not looked closely under flourescent lighting, but I don't see anything major in the way of swirls. In the medical tradition of 'do no harm' I would think less abrasive would be better than more abrasive at this stage. So my choices are: #3 Machine Glaze (polish only), #9 Swirl Remover 2.0, #82 Swirl Free Polish or #80 Speed Glaze. I don't think I would need to go to #83 DACP at this point, unless everyone thinks it is not significantly different from the above. I noticed in Mike's articles about using the Porter Cable, he starts with #80 with #83 being for more difficult scratches or swirls. Thougts? Any help would be appreciated.

Re: New CRV - Decisions.....

I would go with #80 with a pc. I like the amount of play time it has and if you go with #82 i find sometimes its just not strong enough to take out some of the swirls if you do have some but it really depends on the paint. And #83 like you said if you dont really see anything to bad then #83 may be more agressive than what you need
    ""Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will be judged by only one thing - the result." - Vince Lombardi
    Jon's Premium Auto Detailing
    210-281-8151

Comment

Since it is new, and presumably has a nice paint job, why don't you look at under flourescent lighting first?

My wife had a silver CR-V and I used to use #7 on it and I though the car would come out really nice, although I was working by hand.
      ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

Do you own the mentioned products or need to buy?

I have DC#1/M09/M80/M83 and My in-laws have the same exact rig. I am going to do a detail on their someday and planned on using (if swirled a little) M09 then move to M80 if needed. My mother in law uses dish soap and is not easily swayed by ANYONE!!!!!!!

M83 may not be needed but I am going to use a test section first.

Deep Crystal Step one is a good ol' standby too.

Aaron
        Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your input. No, I do not currently have any of the products. But we have a specialty auto parts store less than 5 minutes away that carries them all

Comment

Originally posted by nobig View Post
            My question is what cleaner/polish (or just polish) to use from the Mirror Glaze line before waxing? I've not looked closely under fluorescent lighting, but I don't see anything major in the way of swirls.
            Meguiar's teaches,
            1. Evaluate the condition of the finish
            2. Choose the right product
            3. Use good technique

Your evaluation of the condition of the finish is the first thing you do as this will help you to do the next step and that is to choose the right product for the job.

After washing the car, try to look at the paint in good lighting and two kinds of light, bright sunlight and florescent light, the sun will highlight swirls and the florescent lights will often times highlight other defects like water spots or etchings.

In the medical tradition of 'do no harm' I would think less abrasive would be better than more abrasive at this stage.
            You are correct, Meguiar's has been educating people on this for 100 yearas...

"Use the least aggressive product to get the job done"

So my choices are: #3 Machine Glaze (polish only), #9 Swirl Remover 2.0, #82 Swirl Free Polish or #80 Speed Glaze. I don't think I would need to go to #83 DACP at this point, unless everyone thinks it is not significantly different from the above.
            M83 is significantly different than all the other cleaner/polishes as it's quite a bit more aggressive in it's ability to remove defects.

You want to look at your finish in good lighting and determine if you have swirls that you want to remove, most cars do, even when new, hopefully they are just light from washing and drying and not DISO, the Dealer Installed Swirl Option from the mis-use of some tool or using too aggressive of a product when getting the car ready for sale.

After you determine if you have swirls or not then you can move forward and choose a cleaner/polish or perhaps a paint cleaner like ScratchX or #2 Fine Cut Cleaner.

In most cases, a product like #80 Speed Glaze will tackle about 90% of all paint systems on the market and remove light to medium swirls depending upon how deep they, how hard or soft the paint is and your technique.

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');