• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leather Seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leather Seats

Hey guys,

I purchased my first car (08 Accord) that has BLACK leather seats and have a few questions for you guys.

I purchase a bottle of the Lexol cleaner and conditioner and was wondering if any of you had experience with this on black leather. I'm very nervous about using any cleaning product because some people have experienced discoloration when using leather cleaning products.

I was thinking somewhere along the lines of cleaning/conditioning my leather+interior every 1 1/2 months because it's usually parked in the shade. What do you guys think?

Can I use a conditioner on my leather seats without using the cleaning product? Or will this push dirt and other junk further into my seats?

Are those nylon brushes that are made for cleaning leather seats worth it? Will it discolor the black leather seats if I use it too often?

Like I said before, I'm very nervous about discoloring my black leather seats. I was planning on cleaning/conditioning the leather seats every 3-4 weeks but now I'm having second thoughts about it because it may discolor the black seats..

Is there a different cleaning product out there that may be less abrasive than Lexol?

Re: Leather Seats

I too have had that some problem with some leather cleaners, and usually the problem lies not in the fact of the cleaner itself, but rather that they use the cleaner on uncoated leather and scrub away.

My best advice is simply to do maintenance! Meguiar's makes a fantastic cleaner/conditioner of which my personal favorite is the one in the detailer line and their new spray one with Aloe. There is nothing wrong with the Lexol, though my advice would be to try on a test area first.

Comment

I use both.Lexol for years.And now megs cleaner/cond.No probs with either.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf-Strong View Post
        though my advice would be to try on a test area first.
        Great advice regardless of what you are using. I used lexol for years on various cars. Good product. Though for uspkeep on most cars I really like meguiars gold class spray leather cleaner/conditioner. Really easy to apply and remove. If time is not a concern Meguiars leather lotions both single and dual step work really well. I just used the Gold Class Cleaner/Conditioner Lotion of two big leather chairs I have, incredible matt finish.

Comment

Thanks for the response guys. I'll definitely give the Megs 2in1 a try once I run out of the Lexol.

I'm curious to know more about the Megs 2in1.. How can it possibly clean and at the same time condition the leather seats?

Comment

Originally posted by David621 View Post
            Thanks for the response guys. I'll definitely give the Megs 2in1 a try once I run out of the Lexol.

I'm curious to know more about the Megs 2in1.. How can it possibly clean and at the same time condition the leather seats?
            It works very well with a magic eraser.

Comment

Don't worry, you won't go wrong on new leather, especially with the standard products that have been mentioned. Don't scrub away too much, since there really is no need. Also no need to overdo it as in doing more often than you've stated. Too much product (residue) can attract dirt, dust, etc

Comment

from Lexol:

You only want to clean the leather when it is actually dirty to the naked eye. You can condition without cleaning. We recommend conditioning every three months but you can condition as often as you like. We recommend that you just apply a light application of conditioner. If you over condition, you will get a tacky or sticky feeling to the leather.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');