• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Orbital Tips Please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orbital Tips Please...

So, I finally started using an orbital (I'm a beginner so I feel like this was a good place to start), but I have some questions, please bear with me...

My orbital is a little 6 inch thing, that doesn't have a lot of power (which is probably a good thing for me). LOL I bought three different types of buffing bonnets (foam, micro fiber and 100% cotton terry). So here are my questions...

1. Which bonnet should I use for what purpose? ie: Should I use the foam bonnet to put wax on? If so, how should I remove it?

2. Which bonnet should I use for putting on the polish (I use #7)? How should I remove the polish, by hand or with the orbital? If it is with the orbital, which bonnet should I use (foam, MF or terry)?

3. Should I use the orbital when I'm applying the paint cleaner (#3) or do I run the risk of creating scratches or swirl marks?

4. Can I use the orbital with Scratch X, if so, will it have any "added benefit" over using Scratch X by hand?

Some of this stuff is redundant, but I still confused by it all.
    ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Re: Orbital Tips Please...

Foam bonnets differ greatly in quality and aggressiveness. The ones that I found around here were almost at a cutting pad level - very firm and rough. It's hard to say which ones will be okay. There are many generic brands to consider, too.

1 and 2. A cotton terry or microfiber will be fine for the application of polishes and protectants. Cotton terries will have more 'bite' and work better when used with a cleaner of sorts. The cotton terry or microfiber will be okay for wax and polish removal.
    3. If you have dirt or other particles on the paint or pad, then yes, you will have swirls. Also, an aggressive pad may be able to marre the paint. Otherwise, no, an orbital can not instill swirls if used correctly. Just for reference, #3 is a pure polish (has no cleaning ability).
    4. Sure, ScratchX can be used with an orbital. It may take quite a few applications, though.
    Chris
    Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

See answers in blue

Originally posted by 3Fitty View Post
      1. Which bonnet should I use for what purpose? ie: Should I use the foam bonnet to put wax on? If so, how should I remove it?

Use the foam to apply the wax, switch to a dry microfiber or terry cloth to remove by machine or wipe off by hand.

2. Which bonnet should I use for putting on the polish (I use #7)? How should I remove the polish, by hand or with the orbital? If it is with the orbital, which bonnet should I use (foam, MF or terry)?

You can apply the #7 with anything, probably save your foam or microfiber for applying wax so use cotton for #7. Remove by hand.

3. Should I use the orbital when I'm applying the paint cleaner (#3) or do I run the risk of creating scratches or swirl marks?

What paint cleaner #3?

Use the orbital to apply your paint cleaner, use either cotton or foam or microfiber, cotton will likely give you the most cleaning power. Use Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner or ScratchX. Remove by hand.

4. Can I use the orbital with Scratch X, if so, will it have any "added benefit" over using Scratch X by hand?

You can apply ScratchX by hand or orbital polisher, wipe off by hand. The benefit to using ScratchX by hand is you can apply more pressure to a smaller area, (your fingers), when trying to work out isolated, deeper defects, versus the machine you spread out all this pressure over the face of your pad/bonnet and if you push down to hard on the polisher it will tend to bog down.
      When working by machine, in most cases, you apply paint cleaners and polishes by machine but wipe off by hand.

You can apply waxes by machine and remove by either hand or machine.

Wiping off a wax, a product that should be on the car in a thin coating and has dried, is a lot easier that removing a paint cleaner or polish which can be more product than a thin coating and should be wiped off before it's dry.

There's a difference, kind of hard to show you with a keyboard and some pixels.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by PorscheGuy997 View Post
        Just for reference, #3 is a pure polish (has no cleaning ability).
        Thanks for the response, that helps a lot. I can't remember the name of the foam pad I bought, but I got them at Pepboys (it was the only brand they had).

When I wrote #3, I made an error. I meant the "deep crystal paint cleaner" not #3.

Comment

Mike,

Thanks for the response. I'm going to print out your response and pin it in my garage!!! Great reference material.

As I gain some experience with my orbital, I'll probably make the move to the DA polisher, next year (or half way through this summer).

* I meant "deep crystal paint cleaner" not #3. Sorry.

Comment

Ya never know until you try. Some foams may be more aggressive than others. The blue one I had was fairly soft, but the surface was VERY rough.

Do a test spot to make sure there won't be any problems with the foam.

The entire Deep Crystal series works fine with the orbital.
            Chris
            Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

[quote=3Fitty; I can't remember the name of the foam pad I bought, but I got them at Pepboys (it was the only brand they had).

Most likely it was a Turtle Wax foam bonnet as that is all I've seen at Pepboys--they seem to be high quality.

I had a chance to try this orbital out at Kmart on Sunday-- [URL]http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00910720000P?vName=Tools&cName=Portable+Power+Tools&keyword=orbital+polisher[/url] -- took it down to the TV department and plugged it in -- seems very smooth and I put quite a bit of pressure on it against a metal shelf and it didn't bog down at all -- it has a 1 amp motor while most of them have a .5 amp. It is my understanding that the hook and loop backing plate for the PC will fit on this unit. Or you can adapt any of these for hook and loop pads by ripping off the foam backing and adding self stick velcro or one of these-- http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...10000003+90260

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');