• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some thoughts/questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some thoughts/questions...

So, I did both cars this weekend and I had a few questions I was hoping some could help me with a few questions:

My car (as seen in my avatar) is a white IS350, when I wax it, I have a terrible time actually seeing where I have waxed and where I may have missed. Any thoughts on what I can do to help the process?

Should I be using more wax? View it in the garage under artificial light? It got to a point where I had to ask wifey to come out and give me a hand (or a second set of eyes).

When I was doing my wife's silver CR-V, I used the Natural Shine, Vinyl and Rubber Protectant on the black trim on the exterior. I have not used this product since I purchased it last year (and I stored it indoors), but it "sprayed" it on two my applicator pad, it came out in a thick, syrupy consistency. Is this right or should it have been liquidy? I have forgotten since I have not used it in so long? Prior to using it I gave it a good shake, but it just didn't seem right to me.

The results seemed great (except for one thing - which I'll get to in a moment).

So, while I was doing this plastic (black) trim, I noticed I had areas for dried wax (original NXT) on them from two or three weeks ago). Obviously I missed (quite) a few spots the last time I waxed. So, I tried to "wash" the spots off, when I washed the car, which didn't seem to work too well. Next, I went over all the spots with the NXT Speed Detailer and a lot of passion. Again, a bit better but not perfect.

Last, I hit with the Vinyl and Rubber Protectant and it didn't seem to do the trick. Any advice on what I could do?

In any event, here is the full regimen I did on wifey's CR-V (I will try to post pics tonight).

1. Wash with NXT

2. NO need for clay or paint cleaner (was done two weeks ago).

3. #7 Show Car Glaze (applied with 6 inch orbital) - removed by hand.

4. 2 Coats of NXT 2.0, applied with 6 inch orbital - removed by hand.

5. 3 Coats of Poorboys Wheel Sealant on Rims.*

6. Hot Shine High Gloss Tire Gel (two coats - all four tires).

7. Natural Shine Vinyl and Rubber Protectant for exterior trim

8. Quik Interior Detailer on most interior materials.

9. Stoner Glass Cleaner (inside and out).

10. Mother's Wheel and Mag Cleaner (for tail pipes only). Not very happy with this product but I'm just trying to finish the small tub and get some Megs.

11. UQD on entire car.

* This was my first time ever using the Poorboys Wheel Sealant on my rims. I have not been happy with NXT on the wheels so I will tell you how it goes with the Poorboys stuff. I will say this about it, from the beginning.

IT WAS A REAL PAIN IN THE REAR TO APPLY AND REMOVE!!! Nothing like what I was used to with NXT. It smells awful (some people online says it smells great - I would agree only if inducing vomiting is your goal). At the end of the day, the real reason I got it was for my car which emits a TREMENDOUS amount of brake dust (I clean my wheels at least 3 times a week). So, hopefully this product works. Stay tuned.
    Last edited by 3Fitty; Apr 21, 2008, 05:49 AM.
    ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Re: Some thoughts/questions...

Yes, natural shine has a very thick consistency.

You can use more wax if it makes it easier to see but it will just waste product and will probably make it harder to get off.

I like to use APC+ cut 10:1 to get wax off plastic. Megs GC trim detailer says it can remove wax also.

Ive never really seen a use for a 'wheel sealant.' Im still waiting for a 'behind the door handle' sealant that keeps down scratches from finger nails. . Using brake pads that are 'low dusting' works out great for keeping down dust. I use ceramics.
    Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
    Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

Yeah, I'm going to change to ceramics, but not until I get some miles on these brake pads. For now, I figured I'd give this wheel sealant a try and see what happens.

I'll try the GC trim detailer and see how it goes.
      ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Fitty View Post

My car (as seen in my avatar) is a white IS350, when I wax it, I have a terrible time actually seeing where I have waxed and where I may have missed. Any thoughts on what I can do to help the process?
        At what angle are you viewing the surface? Tilting your head so that your viewing angle is parallel to the surface often helps to detect any spots that you've missed. They'll appear as hazy streaks/patches, etc. I know that pearl white is a little difficult to see a white haze on, but over time you will train your eye to see the haziness.

Often, what helps when removing the wax is to overlap your passes. With your microfiber folded into quarters, make long smooth passes over the surface. You may need to go back over the area a couple of times before all of the wax is removed. And even if it seems like all of the wax is removed, going over the area again wouldn't hurt. Wipe a small section at a time instead of wiping a whole panel at a time, rotating to a clean section/quarter of the microfiber as needed. You may need to use more than one microfiber towel to wipe down your whole car.

Optional: Following your complete wipe down of the car, using a Quik Detailier like Last Touch, UQD, 135 Synthetic Spray Detailer, etc. would also help to remove any residual wax. However, doing this "kind of" defeats the purpose of the wax because the polymers in Meguiars waxes need 12 hours to setup, and an immediate wiping with the aformentioned spray detailers will remove some of the wax polymers while laying down a coat of polymers of its own.

Should I be using more wax?
        No, a thin coat is much easier to remove than a thick coat. If you feel that you do not have enough wax on the surface, apply two thin coats of wax on the vehicle. With application of the second coat separated by removal of the first.

View it in the garage under artificial light?
        Sometimes this helps, but simply putting the car in the shade will allow you to discover any residual wax on the car. The shade helps to cast shadows and the depth of the shadows can be used to see any portions where wax remains.

It's a bit tough to explain without an actual demonstration. I hope this helps, but if there is any part that is unclear, just let me know and I will do my best to reword the section for you. Side Note: I too have a pearl white car, and it takes some practice to not only see where there is residual wax, but also to perfect your technique in removing the wax. I must say that despite these issues, pearl white is a very rewarding color when it's clean.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');