• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Car

You might call me crazy trying to make a minivan shiny but oh well here goes.

I have a 2004 Sienna XLE Limited in dark blue color that I've had for a while now. I've only washed the car since it does the trick but I was thinking that I should put NXT on it now. This is my first "big" car, btw.

So here's some questions.

1. Since it's a fairly new paint (2 month), should I use something like ScratchX or should I skip that and go to the polish? I mean if there's residue should I use a claybar instead since ScratchX is a bit stronger and the paint has probably defects at all.
    2. The pillars; B & C, they're made of a material I don't know about. Put on some tech protectant and it smears on and never absorbs. What should I do to protect it from fading?
    3. I know it's not recommended to put leather conditioners on steering wheels but I really don't want to have the leather dry up. Should I do it and let it dry onto the leather?
    4. The roof rack makes it difficult on waxing the area. I can always stand through the moonroof but it's still difficult. Any SUV ownes can share some tips?
    5. I have parking sonars and I don't know if waxing over them or having residue will have any effect on them. Any who've detailed with these can help?

As always thanks for reading and your most useful tips are needed.

-Toyotaowner
    1995 Camry LE- Forest Green Pearl/Ivory Cloth
    2004 Sienna XLE Limited- Blue Mirage Metallic/Stone Leather

1. Depends if the vehicle has any bonded contaminants yet. Feel the paint after a wash and see if it's as smooth as glass. Also consider how long the vehicle may have been sitting on the lot before you bought it.

2. I have a similar surface I think, I can put some W Dressing on it (and thats the only thing I've found that works thus far) but it still isn't perfect. Is it a rubber like surface? I'd be curious to hear from some others on this.

3. For the steering wheel take your pick of leather systems and wipe it off with a dry towel after wards to pick up any left behind conditioner. I know they say not to use any dressings on steering wheels so they aren't slippery, but haven't specifically heard anything about leather conditioners. If anything this is the leather you should take the most care of because it comes in to direct human contact more than anything. I do mine all the time. If it's got perferations and/or stitching like my wheel does get a tooth brush and really get down in to the grooves with leather cleaner from time to time.

4. Having formerly owned a SUV roofs are a pain. All you can really do is bite the bullet and go for it. Get something that will last a while because you'll be predisposed to wax it less than anything else when it needs it the most. I used a ladder (carefully) for mine, but of course there still was that one 2X2 spot in the middle that was impossible to get to. You can lean on the roof rack some without hurting anything, but be careful. You might also get some quick wax and do the wax as you dry thing while washing from time to time.
    Later,
    Ricky

For great Meguiar's deals I use
    Auto Detailing Solutions

Comment

The car had just gotten off the delivery truck and detailed by the dealer. So I know that it wasn't sitting on the lot. I guess I'll try that smooth test. I just thought scratchx is more suitable for damaged paints and not new ones.

The pillars seemed to be made of some sort rubber then, covered with some sort of enamel. I do know it does fade a little.

The roof rack seems to be made of the same thing. I'm afraid of putting some sort of wax of it because of past experiences with the black rubbing off.

And yes the leather on my steering is stiched so I guess a new toothbrush should work.

My main concern is what to use for those pillars and roof rack.

-Toyotaowner

Comment

ScratchX is more for fixing isolated problems. You'll still want to probably clay bar the vehicle once or twice a year at least to keep bonded contaminants off of the paint.

For the pillars and roof rack your best bet if no one else knows is to maybe experiment some. Try some wax on it if nothing else you can remove it if it doesn't work.
        Later,
        Ricky

For great Meguiar's deals I use
        Auto Detailing Solutions

Comment

Re: New Car

Originally posted by toyotaowner
          You might call me crazy trying to make a minivan shiny but oh well here goes.

Crazy? No one here would call you crazy for wanting to obtain such a goal. Be reminded that you're among enthusiasts here.

1. Since it's a fairly new paint (2 month), should I use something like ScratchX or should I skip that and go to the polish? I mean if there's residue should I use a claybar instead since ScratchX is a bit stronger and the paint has probably defects at all.

Like Rick mentioned, Scratch-X is a product that most like to use on more isolated areas (IE: a scratch that doesn't seem to polish out easily etc...). I'd discourage using it over the entirety of the vehicle.

If it were me, I'd probably go with a product like Meguiar's ColorX to maintain and protect. It's a tremendous one step product and is available at most Wal-Mart types of stores.

2. The pillars; B & C, they're made of a material I don't know about. Put on some tech protectant and it smears on and never absorbs. What should I do to protect it from fading?

I'm not very familiar with the Sienna and have never personally detailed one. I have a hunch that the material may be a 'flat black' painted surface or a plastic composite of some sort. Like Rick mentioned, you may have to do some experimentation with a few products on inconspicuous areas to test how they may (or may not) work out.

I'll see if I can do a little bit of research to see what those pillars are made out of so that we may be better able to assist you.

3. I know it's not recommended to put leather conditioners on steering wheels but I really don't want to have the leather dry up. Should I do it and let it dry onto the leather?

It is a good policy to make sure that all leather is conditioned however; you need to be sure that all of the conditioning product is removed and that the wheel isn't slick which could cause problems while driving.

I wouldn't recommend driving immediately after application either as it would be better to allow the product to 'work' in to the leather. Wiping it down two or three times post-application might not be a bad idea either.

Meguiar's Rich Aloe Leather Cleaner and Conditioner are EXCELLENT products for this application.

4. The roof rack makes it difficult on waxing the area. I can always stand through the moonroof but it's still difficult. Any SUV ownes can share some tips?

I own a little two-step rubbermaid step ladder that is PERFECT for this application. It cost under $10 and I use it ALL the time all over the house.

5. I have parking sonars and I don't know if waxing over them or having residue will have any effect on them. Any who've detailed with these can help?

Residual material on the sensors can't be a good thing and I would suspect that it could potentially hinder the functionality. If it were mine, I'd avoid these areas and keep them free and clear of all products. They're there for safety reasons and thus, I'd recommend simply leaving them alone.

Good luck with your project! It sounds like it might be a full day of detailing but, when all is said and done, I'd bet that you'll be thrilled with the results. Please be sure to take some pictures of your work and share them with us when you get a chance.

RP
          -The Final Detail-
          Lagrange, Kentucky
          thefinaldetail@insightbb.com
          CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY GALLERY

Comment

I thought ColorX was for 1970 Mustangs who haven't seen the light of day for 3 decades and has been sitting in some humid barn down in Tennessee.

Maybe I thought wrong. So ColorX is for cleaning the paint and protect it?

The pillar material seems to be universal since I see it on my Camry and the neighbors' cars.

It's good to have a shiny Lexus of Minivans

I'll post some pics when I can.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');