• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pressure Washer PSI???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure Washer PSI???

I have been looking into getting a small pressure washer for things like undercarriage washing, etc. I realize the potential problems of blasting dirt into the paint, but my question is what PSI is sufficient for auto use? I don't need a crazy one but might want to use it on the driveway once in a while. The PSI produced from coin-ops seems to do the job, but I don't know what PSI they run at. Suggestions?

Re: Pressure Washer PSI???

I'm not an expert by any means, but I have a 2500 PSI pressure washer that works well for our driveway. Most pressure washers have a lower setting that would help with washing under your cars.

PS: Mine is made by Briggs & Stratton and has a wand that has the higer and lower setting built into it. Some pressure washers have little bits that go on the end to make the pressure higher, depending on the appliaction of course.
    NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

I have a 2750psi electric unit but I have it turned down to about 1500-1750psi. Can't imagine needing anything more than that.

Rasky
      Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

I have a 1800psi electric for my mobile rig. Works great for me.
        Forever New
        Mobile Detailing
        Jacksonville, FL

Comment

Ok, the ones I keep seeing pop up on craigslist are the 1750 karchers, I'll go with that for now.

Comment

You can get the 1800 karcher at Lowes for $159, not sure what they are going for on craigslist
            Forever New
            Mobile Detailing
            Jacksonville, FL

Comment

Id be weary of Karchers, I've owned 3 of the electric models from 1500 PSI to 1750 PSI and after about a year of moderate use, they would start cycling. I will never buy another one.

I recently switched to a Campbell Hausfield 1800 PSI and so far, so good.

Comment

Pressure Washers Direct - Shop huge selection of quality pressure washers from top name brands. Buy power washers direct. Free Shipping. Expert Advice.

They have some fantastic information on pressure washers there. Basically from what I gather, it isn't just PSI that you should be looking at, rather GPM (gallons per minute) as well. An electric pressure washer may have a high PSI, but its GPM is very low, meaning it has a low cleaning power. A gas or high end electric model on the other hand will have a much higher GPM, meaning much more cleaning power. When looking into electric, remember there are two types; induction and brush motors. The cheap $100 pressure washers are usually going to be universal/contact/brush motors, meaning they will tend to wear out fairly fast, usually dying out in a years time. Induction motors though will keep on powering on and last years much like the gasoline models.

Comment

Good info Wolf-Strong thanks much!
                  Scott

Comment

wow, thanks for the info

Comment

I agree with Wolf-strong, pressurewashersdirect is where I bought my Campbell Hausfield after reading the reviews on it there, they also have top notch customer service as I bought a refurb and the one they sent me was defective origionally, but they were more than willing to help me and got back to me very quickly with another unit.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');