• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few questions

My first question is whether or not it is necessary to buy a pad to use with each product; e.g., if I use #83 on a pad and wash it thoroughly, can I then use the same pad with #80? I pretty much stick to Meguiar's polishes and like to use various pad and polish combos depending on the finish I am working on; if I need to buy a different pad for exclusive use with a specific polish, it would be pretty expensive. Additionally, I have been using a foam pad brush to unclog pads while polishing and notice my pads are wearing extremely fast, is it possible the foam brush is contributing to this problem? My final question concerns dusting; should I continue working the polish after dusting begins or is this indicative of working the polish too long?

Re: A few questions

I know that I use different pads for each solution I use. I never would want to mix for instance NXT wax and paint cleaner or the polish. If your talking about washing your pads I take it, you might want to wash them in the washer on light then air dry if they are a fabric pad.

The dusting: What polish are you talking about just so we know?
    Rupes 21 / Flex 3401 / G110v2 / GG3"
    Thoryamaha919 AKA Evan
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Comment

1. It is best to buy separate pads for each product, even more than one pad. But if you were to wash and dry the pad when it became overloaded/done for the day then you could use it for other products.If you want to spend the time washing and waiting to dry, that is up to you.

2. Most of the videos show a terry cloth towel being used.... likely what would be a lot gentler, and slow the wearing.

3. Could be. What are you using?
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

In regards to my third question, I've been using the 3M Perfect It Rubbing Compound and it produces a ridiculous amount of dust. I then follow this with #83 on the rotary and then #80 on the PC. I usually continue polishing when the Rubbing Compound begins to dust just to make sure it is completely worked; after all, this stuff begins to dust after a pass or two. Concerning the DACP, when I begin to see signs of dust, I quit working it. With #80, I've never had an issue with dust; I can usually work this a while before I get buffer hop or dust. I usually strive to leave a thin film of lubrication still on the panel when I finish working #80. I think I'm going to give up on the 3M Rubbing Compound and polishes I have; they don't seem to cooperate half of the time (they dust, weld to the paint, etc). I've considered buying the #85 because I normally cut with wool (the so1o system burgundy colored wool); however, I'd appreciate some input regarding how this formula performs in comparison to similar products (i.e. #84 with foam or M105). Thanks for the previous responses; any additional feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

In regards to my third question, I've been using the 3M Perfect It Rubbing Compound and it produces a ridiculous amount of dust. I then follow this with #83 on the rotary and then #80 on the PC. I usually continue polishing when the Rubbing Compound begins to dust just to make sure it is completely worked; after all, this stuff begins to dust after a pass or two. Concerning the DACP, when I begin to see signs of dust, I quit working it. With #80, I've never had an issue with dust; I can usually work this a while before I get buffer hop or dust. I usually strive to leave a thin film of lubrication still on the panel when I finish working #80. I think I'm going to give up on the 3M Rubbing Compound and polishes I have; they don't seem to cooperate half of the time (they dust, weld to the paint, etc). I've considered buying the #85 because I normally cut with wool (the so1o system burgundy colored wool); however, I'd appreciate some input regarding how this formula performs in comparison to similar products (i.e. #84 with foam or M105). Thanks for the previous responses; any additional feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');