• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you tackle this job!?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you tackle this job!?!?

I'm VERY new to detailing guys. I'm don't even have any idea on how to tackle this job. The rest of the car looks bad, but this front end is atrocious! I appreciate any advice you can give!!

Re: How would you tackle this job!?!?

Can you get any more zoomed out pics also?

Might be clear coat failure, might be just covered in crud.

I would at least give it a wash, so you can make a better evaluation. You might also want to try something simple like ScratchX, or a cleaner/wax like ColorX on a couple areas, as test spots, and see if any good results are possible.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

This thread was posted twice, not sure how that happened but we deleted the duplicate.

As for removing what looks like horrible stains, you can use a paint cleaner like ScratchX or Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner, or our cleaner/wax ColorX.

All three of these can be found at most auto parts stores, you'll need some applicator pads, look for a microfiber or cotton applicator pad and you'll probably have to put some passion behind the pad when applying one of the above products.

Also, if the paint is this dirty and stained, it probably needs to be clayed to, so after you wash the car, feel the paint and if it doesn't feel glassy smooth, then pick up a detailing clay kit and after washing the car clay the paint, then use the paint cleaner or the cleaner/wax.

If you use a paint cleaner, than afterwards you'll need to apply a wax, if you use the ColorX then it's an all-in-one product and it will clean, polish and wax in one step.

Best of luck to you... looks pretty bad....

What happened?
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Not sure exactly what happened. She said her parking stall is right in front of a sprinkler head. I snapped these pictures a month ago when she had mentioned wanting to get it detailed. Can you tell if those are water spots, clear coat or horrible oxidation?

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
          Can you get any more zoomed out pics also?
          Unfortunately I can't. I'm picking the car up first thing tomorrow morning. I'll snap some more pictures then.

Comment

The top pic looks like spots/stains/buildup, should be at least improvable. There could be some etching that would be a bear to remove.

But the bottom pic could be anything.

Comment

Looks like multiple exposure to well water from the sprinkler system. Like Murr said. It should be improveable. It will take alot of passion behind the pad. Try multiple test spots. 1 With colorx, 1 with the scratch-x, and 1 using both. Then determine what looks best to you. Proceed from there. Good luck.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

I would have to agree with Murr1525, wash the car and evaluate, because it seems to be some kind of spot or buildup

Comment

Thanks for your responses. I'll have to go out and buy some colorx. I have just about everything else. You all recommend doing this by hand, rotary, orbital?

Comment

Do you guys usually charge more for detailing a car like this? I'm guessing my bid of $180 is too little for a full detail.

Comment

You dont need the ColorX if you are going to do you best with ScratchX.

How new are you? What products do you have, have used before, machines, etc? I mean, it is fine to say a rotary would be best, but if you are new at it, then this isnt the place to learn.

And if you have a PC, etc, then that could bring in other products to use as well.

If you want it perfect, you might need to charge more.

Comment

I've detailed probably 15-20 cars. All of them have been in fairly good condition to begin with. None have been like this one. Exterior products? I have #80, #83, the standard meguiars 3 stage cleaner/deep crystal/carnuba, scratch x, NXT 2.0, light compound, heavy compound, clay bars.The only type of buffer I've used is a 10" orbital. I just bought the DeWalt rotary a few weeks ago. Going to learn to use it on my car before I use it on someone else's.

Comment

You might do well to find a panel at a scrap yard to work on, before your car even.

#80 / #83 by a PC would be good, but I dont know if your 10" orbital will really have enough oomph to work the products in and remove the defects/etchings. If you have had some success with it before, you can certainly give it a wirl, it might do a little better than by hand if you are lucky....

Hopefully a good washing and claying will give a better idea of the surface.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                            You might do well to find a panel at a scrap yard to work on, before your car even.

SYDSTER

Comment

Originally posted by usafcrk View Post

Exterior products? I have #80, #83, the standard Meguiar's 3 stage cleaner/deep crystal/Carnauba, scratch x, NXT 2.0, light compound, heavy compound, clay bars.

The only type of buffer I've used is a 10" orbital.

I just bought the DeWalt rotary a few weeks ago.

If you haven't started yet, here's a simple test, wash or wipe an affected panel clean, clay a little test spot, then take either the ScratchX, the Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner or even the M80 and simply apply and work some over the small test spot and then wipe off the excess and examine the results.

If a little bit of cleaning improves the finish, the chances are good a lot of cleaning action will improve it more.

When we first replied to this thread and gave you some tips we didn't know what you had in your arsenal for products and tool, guess we should have asked first.

Since you have an orbital polisher, try using one of your paint cleaners and see if the machine will remove the staining and gunk that has built up on the paint.

The rotary will chew right through this water staining damage but it's not a good idea to learn how to use a rotary on something that's important to you.

Keep us updated on how you end up fixing the problem.

Thanks!

Mike Phillips
                              760-515-0444
                              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');