• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meassuring clear coat thickness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jimmy Buffit
    ValuGard offers a product (which I THINK is similar to DACP) and their directions clearly state that one pass (buff to dust) will remove .3 mil.
    If you're talking about Liquid paint correction cream then I don't think there is need for worry. From what I learned talking to Ron, LPCC is a controlled mechanical abbrasive that's on par with 3M rubbing compound(not the fine cut, but one step up), and is closer to Meg's Compound Power Cleaner or Dimaond Cut on a wool pad. Though being that it's mechanical rather than a diminishing abrassive I would think it might even be stronger than either of those as well. Their machine polish is closer to DACP, though I'm not sure if that's a mechanical or diminishing abrassive, they call it an SMR, but it's more agressive than some like #9 or even 3M's SMR.
    I want 4" Softbuff pads!

Comment

what about DACP and a rotary does this take off .3 or .5 mil in one swipe?
      Jason

Comment

Originally posted by gbackus
        If you're talking about Liquid paint correction cream then I don't think there is need for worry. From what I learned talking to Ron, LPCC is a controlled mechanical abrasive that's on par with 3M rubbing compound(not the fine cut, but one step up), and is closer to Meg's Compound Power Cleaner or Diamond Cut on a wool pad.

Though being that it's mechanical rather than a diminishing abrasive I would think it might even be stronger than either of those as well.
        In most cases, if the abrasive doesn't break down, or diminish, then it will cut longer than an abrasive that does break down. Technically, if the abrasive doesn't break down, then it's removing paint the entire time it is being worked against the finish. This type of abrading action removes a lot of paint, and tends to leave the finish scoured and swirled.

It's possible that two types of abrasives can start out at the same aggressiveness level, but if one breaks down and the other doesn't, the aggressiveness level of the one that breaks down will diminish.

Mike
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

It is almost impossible to state what amount of material will be removed in 1 pass with any product. What you must remember are all the variables.

1) What type of paint (is it a hard low VOC, or a soft lacquer)
          2) RPM's of the machine (1000 or 3000)
          3) Pressure applied by the operator (hard or soft)
          4) Arm speed of the operator (fast or slow)

These are just to name a few.

Two people can take the same product and buff, and have totally different results as far as how much material gets removed.

It is not a good idea to place numbers on products as far as removal goes. There are just too many variables.

When you do place a number, next thing you know, you will burn through because you thought...you wern't taking that much off...oops...

Always play it safe and use the least aggressive method possible and use a digital paint thickness gauge. This way, there is no guessing involved.

Mike
          Mike Pennington
          Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
          Meguiar's, Inc.
          800-854-8073
          mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

Lots of interesting reading and priceless replys from Meguiars top detailers.
            I posted this thread seeking an answer as an enthusiast detailer that wants to keep both of his cars in showroom condition, and is worried about removing too much clearcoat with a PC and # 83, and avoid having CC failure down the road.
            After reading all the replys I conclude (correct me if I´m wrong) that I can safely and often use Meguiars most aggressive polishes designed to be used with a PC, and not worry about damaging my paint.

Comment

100% correct conclusion

Mike Pennington
              Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
              Meguiar's, Inc.
              800-854-8073
              mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

ok
                Jason

Comment

Jim, I am glad to hear you picked up one of thosepaint thickness gauges. I was going to order one also until I found out how much they are. I figured it is chaper to repaint a car than to buy a gauge!!

Actually mine is on the way!!!
                  Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');