• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deep scratch on hood - Ideas on how to fix/make better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep scratch on hood - Ideas on how to fix/make better?

Hello,
    I tried using some techniques I learned from a Meguair's Detail Day from Mike Phillips a few years back today . Mike is a great teacher, but unfortunately, I was not very successful with the task at hand.

Situation:
    My coworker's hood got keyed. When I looked @ it, it didn't seem "that bad" - none of the keying seemed to go straight thru the paint, most of it seems to be in the clear & some may have reached the color layer.

What I tried:
    - #83 Dual Action Cleaner/Polish - didn't do much; applied by hand as well as w/ Meguair's Porter Cable
    - ScratchX - did very little; applied 3-5 times slowly w/ passion by hand, and then a few times using the porter cable, and another 3 applications by hand.

This is a picture of what the scratch looks like (before):

After the polishing/scratchx, still lots of work to be done - spent 2 hours on it, and don't think I accomplished much:

I think most of the difference in "before/after" is just my lack of camera image capturing skills, it was getting darker, so the scratch doesn't look as apparent.

Any suggestions on what I should try next? More ScratchX (I used a good 1/4-1/3 of the bottle)?

I saw Mike teaching someone to apply touch up paint & wet sanding the scratch w/ 2000 grit sand paper, but I don't want to make things worse on my coworkers car - I also don't want her to have to spend 400-500 getting the entire hood resprayed for such a relatively small scratch.

Thanks for the help!

Re: Deep scratch on hood - Ideas on how to fix/make better?

It may be beyond scratchX and a DA.
    It's hard to tell from the pics, but it looks pretty deep. May be time for the next step......touch up paint, sand paper and a rotary
    2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
    2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
    2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
    2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

imo that looks pretty deep for scratch x

Comment

It looks like that paint is metallic. A brush touch-up and wet sanding will not work. It's going to take a whole hood repaint. If she has comprehensive insurance that should be covered -- vandalism.

Tom

Comment

Yeah that scratch is thoroughly out of DA-land.

Comment

from the second picture it looks real deep, most likely to deep for repair without repainting
            ""Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will be judged by only one thing - the result." - Vince Lombardi
            Jon's Premium Auto Detailing
            210-281-8151

Comment

Originally posted by EAT HEMI View Post
              Yeah that scratch is thoroughly out of DA-land.
              That scratch is out of RB-Land and even Wet-sanding Land, it's all the way across the Universe and into Touch-up Paint Land and even Body Shop Land.

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                That scratch is out of RB-Land and even Wet-sanding Land, it's all the way across the Universe and into Touch-up Paint Land and even Body Shop Land.

My goodness. Aren't you in a cheery mood this morning.

Tom

Comment

I have had great success using M105 by hand to remove scratches and bird poo etching, you could give that a try. I think it might remove the scratch between the white/bright areas in your photos, but those areas look to be much deeper.
                  1999 Ford Contour SVT
                  Silver Frost/Midnite Blue
                  1966/2760

Comment

I really appreciate all the replies guys. If I remember correctly, she has a $500 deductible, quote for repainting my friends hood (similar situation but scratch went through to primer) was in the $400-$500 land. Her's will probably be even more. I guess she'll hold off for now - I put a coat of wax after the polishing on the entire hood, so at least the scratch is shiny .

body shop land, here it comes, hahaha.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');