• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

quick questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick questions

hey guys

thanks to all the advice and welcomes from an earlier thread
    "new member, need advice" but i have another quick question

i detailed my 07 black monte over the weekend and had the chance to look at it in the sun for the first time yesterday. I noticed STILL an extreme amount of swirls all over the surface. Im wondering if i did not correctly apply scratch x.

after noticing how the car still has just about the same amount of swirls as before i detailed, im wondering if i should beef up to the Mirrorglaze products and use M#9 swirl remover 2.0 followed by show car glaze #7

im thinking a low cut swirl remover followed by a strong pure polish will tackle the swirls better than scratch x or the deep crystal line is this true

(all products applied by hand)

thanks guys

Re: quick questions

Working by hand, your best choices are ScratchX or M105.

Either way, the most important thing is applying it correctly, that is usualy the downfall of most people. If you did your entire car in one day, I am doubting it was applied right. How did you apply it?

It needs worked into small areas a a time, maybe 1 foot square, and worked in with a lot of passion. Basically, the car should almost be rocking on the springs as you work and push against the paint. You should work it until the product goes from a creamy color to a clear greasy color. Likely you would need 2-3 applications in most areas to remove most swirls.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by cubbies21 View Post
      hey guys

i detailed my 07 black monte over the weekend and had the chance to look at it in the sun for the first time yesterday. I noticed STILL an extreme amount of swirls all over the surface. Im wondering if i did not correctly apply scratch x.
      Clear coats for the most part are hard to work on by hand when it comes to removing swirls because removing swirls means removing paint and because they tend to be fairly hard it's fairly hard for you with your hand pushing on an applicator pad to remove paint.

Make sense?

That's why if you read this forum or any form for very long you'll see how popular DA Polishers have become and that's because removing defects by hand is difficult.

Technique is very important too, if you want to remove swirls by hand you need to only work just a small section at at time and in most cases you'll have to apply and work ScratchX multiple times.

How big an area did you work when you used ScratchX?
      How many times did you apply it to each section?

Did you do a "Test Spot" before you began and inspected your result?

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

well i must have rushed for the fact that the car still contains many swirls and it only took me one day

therefore, to fix the problem by reapplying scratchx with some strength and time, do i need to somehow strip the wax becasue when i detailed five days ago, i used TECH WAX 2.0. Also, do i need to clay bar again as i did that five days ago as well?

in review my questions are:
        1. if i reapply scratchx, do i need to strip the wax (and how) and re clay bar?
        2. will another coat of scratch x with time and throughness take care of the swirls or do i need to use different meguiars products

also quick question- ive been using all MF towels and pads, is it possible for them to also create new swirls?

sorry for all the questions
        thanks guys

Comment

This next time, try and just do a test spot first to make sure you are getting it right. Then move up to a panel. Dont foucs on more than a panel or two a day. Just try to ScratchX then polish if you want and wax a little each day.

ScratchX will remove your previous wax, but no need to clay again.

And as long as they are good quality towels, washed, etc, they wont cause swirls.

Other than the two products mentioned by hand, you can always start to move up to a machine, which would be easier though more expensive. Depends how hard you find you have to work on the test spot/panel if that is worth it to you or not.

What it Means to Remove a Scratch

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

Rotary vs. PC vs. Regular Orbital Buffer

Recommended Products - G100a Dual Action Polisher

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line

1986 Ford Bronco II - Extreme Makeover

Each one, teach one... Ferrari Fiorano 355 F1 Spider
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
          X