• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

terry towels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• terry towels

I'm a bit confused. Everyone seems to be recommending to use microfibre to buff the wax off your car if you buff by hand. But I always thought that using terry towels is okay as well right?

i think Terry is ok but MF is better...
    go and check the video about MF at Meguiar's website
    Zitosonic Detailing Spot

Comment

THey both have their place. A premium quality microfiber polishing cloth is a lot softer and more gentle to a automotive finish than most 100% cotton terry cloth towels. There are some very nice terry cloth towels on the market however.

It's kind of interesting how the two towels, (types of fiber material), work. Microfiber polishing cloths, the kind that are made from a blend of polyester and nylon fibers adsorb, instead of absorb. Cotton terry cloth towels on the other hand absorb and absorb.

Cotton fibers absorb water and other liquids into themselves. Of course, product like dry wax also stick to to the outside of the fibers. Polyester and nylon fibers in their miniature size like used in a good quality microfiber polishing cloth adsorb products, both liquid and solid. That is to say liquids and solids attach or stick to the outside of the fibers.

Microfiber polishing cloths are excellent for removing polishes, waxes and quick detailers.

Mike
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I think you will find that once you have used a good quality MF towel you will give up the 100% cotton. I know I did, I find them much softer and I trust them a little more on the good ole paint, ONLY good quality Microfibers touch my paint now! Keep the cotton around for other uses, glass wheels and tires there are lots of other uses!
        Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
        Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

fpalattao,

I still find that there are times when high quality cotton towels are superior to MF towels................... particularly when it comes to removing some paint cleaners/polishes/glazes. However, based upon one of your other posts, you probably don't plan on doing a lot of polishing, so you may only need MF towels.

Anyhow, as Mike said, if you do decide on cotton towels, make sure the are high quality, Made in USA 100% thick knap cotton towels. A lot of towels are labeled as 100% cotton................. but are thin pieces of ****, and probably not 100% cotton, and for sure, not good cotton. Like the ones you see at Wally World. Those towels are good for dirty chores, and that's about it.
          Boss_429

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');