• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water spots after waxing???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water spots after waxing???

Hey Everybody,

I clayed (Meg's smooth kit) and waxed (Meg's NXT 2.0) my truck this weekend. The next day, the hood had water spots on it. It was in the garage that night, so no water got on it. I used a microfiber to wipe it again thinking I had too much wax residue left over, but it didn't help. So then I sprayed some Meg's Quik Detailer on it and wiped it down, and that got rid of the water spots. Question is, did I do something wrong? I did 2 coats of wax. Did I not buff it enough (by hand)after waxing. Was it ok to use the QD on it so soon after waxing? Maybe dumb questions, but I am really obsessive about this new truck and want to get perfection every time.

Side note, I'm claying this new truck already (4 months old) because it has very small red spots all over that don't come off with regular washing. I'm pretty sure they got on there when someone 4 or 5 houses down from me was using red spray paint on their building one day. And it's always windy here in Texas. So everyone out there should watch out because that stuff can travel a long way and screw up your finish.

Thanks in advance for the input!

Re: Water spots after waxing???

Originally posted by TxZ71
    Hey Everybody,

I clayed (Meg's smooth kit) and waxed (Meg's NXT 2.0) my truck this weekend. The next day, the hood had water spots on it. It was in the garage that night, so no water got on it.
    Hmm.... if no water got onto the paint after applying and removing wax the next assumption would be that the water spots were already there and by applying NXT Tech Wax to the paint you merely cleared up the surface of the clear coat enough to now see them?

If they wiped off that means they were topical, that is something sitting on the paint because most people that have water spots have what is actually an etching in the paint itself and the only way to remove an etching in the paint is to remove the paint around the etching and when it comes to most clear coat paints that's a lot of work, not merely an easy fix by wiping.

As long as it's gone.... If it happens again in the same setting it's time to set up a camera to record what's going on while you're sleeping!

Originally posted by TxZ71
    Side note, I'm claying this new truck already (4 months old) because it has very small red spots all over that don't come off with regular washing. I'm pretty sure they got on there when someone 4 or 5 houses down from me was using red spray paint on their building one day. And it's always windy here in Texas. So everyone out there should watch out because that stuff can travel a long way and screw up your finish.

Thanks in advance for the input!
    And your experience makes the point made in this thread...

How often do I need to clay my car's finish?

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Another wild possability could be that you didn't shake the wax quite enough. Since it wiped off with QD it was on the surface as Mike said. It might be that the lsp wasn't fully mixed......especially if it was garaged.

Mort

Comment

Next time I'll make sure the wax is mixed really well just to be sure. It was a really strange deal because I didn't notice the spots there before waxing. But water spots are common here because we have such hard water and temps around 100 everyday that make it dry quickly. If it happens again next time then I will think someone is messing with me. But the QD got rid of them for now, thank goodness.

Thanks guys for the responses!

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');