• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polished Aluminum Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polished Aluminum Exhaust

Hey All,

First, I have no search skills so I apologize if this is a duplicate. I just picked up a 06 350z with nismo exhaust and I'm interested in shining it up a bit. What method / products can I use to clean the polished aluminum exhaust?

Detailing Enthusiast

Re: Polished Aluminum Exhaust

Nxt Metal Polysh or Hot Rims Mag & Aluminum will work fine... You can clean with soap or Hot Rims Aluminum Wheel Wash and clay first if you like.

2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I heard steel wool #0000 was safe to use is that true?
      Detailing Enthusiast

Comment

I dunno, I have only used terry cloth for applying the polish.

Comment

I wouldn't use steel wool unless there was rust.

Comment

Just to give you an example, here is the exhaust that needs to be cleaned.

Detailing Enthusiast

Comment

I'd just clean it, clay it, and polish it with a terry cloth.

Comment

Metal polishing is one of those steps...take it to serious and you will never finish but take it lightly and man you can do some damage.

Like paint polishing, metal polishing requires a step process. Steel wool could be a first step to clean the metal up but that step will make this a much more involved processes. I would not suggest you start with 0000 steel wool unless you desire it to be a perfect mirror finish and have some practice metal polishing before hand.

Start with a mild metal polish and a small polishing pad or adapter for your drill. Once you get a good shine, step down to a finer metal polish and another attachment on your drill...or clean the previously used adapter really good!

Many times, we start out with a wool pad for the first step and then work our way into a finer wool and finally finish with foam or by hand.

Here is a photo of some work we did recently on an aircraft. Notice the deep scratches and then after three steps (One moderate wool, one soft wool and the last with a drill or die cutter with polishing wheels.

For this smaller job, you can find polishing wheels at Home Depot in the tool section...they are usually near all the drill attachments and come in medium cut and light cut...they attach to your drill with little effort and are cheap!

Use these wheels with some of the products mentioned in earlier post and you have a nice shine!
                Renny Doyle
                Attention To Details
                "Detailers of Air Force One"
                www.detailingsuccess.com

Comment

Pictures missing. PM sent
                  Detailing Enthusiast

Comment

#0000 steel wools fine, but make sure theres LOTS of polish being used with it. Use the steel wool for the initial polish, then a cotton or mf applicator to finish it up.
                    AJ Auto Detail, LLC

Comment

Here's what #0000 steel wool and Meg's Hot Rims Mag & Alu Polish did for me...

Before

After

AJ Auto Detail, LLC

Comment

Someone requested the pic collection be reposted so here ya go!

Renny Doyle
                        Attention To Details
                        www.detailingsuccess.com

Comment

Renny,
                          I'm still seeing "the little red X" in your post. Not sure if it's on your end or the forums? Maybe one of the Mike's will fix it or let us know.

Comment

I can see it on this end...BUT I am still new to MOL so bare with me while I work my bugs out!
                            Renny Doyle
                            Attention To Details
                            www.detailingsuccess.com

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');