• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maaco Paint Job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maaco Paint Job

This thread *might* be useless without pictures but I'll give a whirl anyway.

My father-in-law has a 1982 Monte Carlo which is kind of like his step-child. He loves it (in a weird way), but doesn't drive it and lets it sit in front of his house constantly (rain, snow, sleet & hail). On one of the few times it got taken out someone decided to run into the driver door, which ulimately had to be replaced, but was a different color.

To make a long story short, my F-I-L took the car for a cheapie paint job at Maaco (I think he paid $500 for it). The paint job looks like a $500 paint job (but he lives 1000 miles away so I don't have pics).

My question is this...

If I bring my G110, some #80, #83, #7, NXT 2.0 and my bible, will I be able to make a lousy paint job look good? I have NO idea if it is a clear coat, single stage or even finger paint, but I know it isn't very shiny.

I figure, if nothing else, I can use the step child as a learning tool (for myself) but will it all be for nothing? How likely am I to make a mediocre paint job look as though my 3 year old painted the car?

Sorry no pics, but my zoom lens isn't good for 1000 miles and my F-I-L is about as tech saavy as the rabbits in my yard.
    ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Re: Maaco Paint Job

I am willing to bet the only way you will bring life to Maaco paint job is if you wet send it and then hit it with stuff mentioned above.
    - Dmitriy
    K&N Filter, Berk TP, HKS Exhaust, CR Knob. HKS & Test Pipe (Video)
    http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/8...merday2la9.jpg

Comment

I'm willing to bet there will be a fair amount of orange peel as well. Make sure to bring your wet sanding kit with and a sanding block.
      Detailing Enthusiast

Comment

Bring over your full arsenal and give it a go. It may turn out very good.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Even a paint job with orange peel can look good. For $500, I'm willing to bet that it is a single stage paint, which will work even better in your favor. Single stage is very easy to work with and your g110 should make it look nice and pretty

Now, if the prange peel is horrible, you'd probably be better off to just let it be what it is, and talk him into letting someone wet sand and buff it

Nick
          2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
          2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
          2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
          2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');