• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A scratch with depth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A scratch with depth

Is any scratch on paint that you can feel has depth to it, to far gone for simple correction using a DA polisher?

I have two scratches on the bottom of my passenger door that are about an inch long (each) and run vertically. If you pass your finger nail over them, your nail falls into the scratch. I would say it has signifcant depth.

Luckily, it is NOT that noticeable. It seems to just look like a small line that is a different shade of white. Sorry no pics.

Since it is at the bottome of the door it is really out of sight and I've tried Scratch X by hand (about 5 passes) and I recently tried M80 by hand and a lot of passion, with two passes and it has NO effect on the scratch, I wasn't too worried but I figure I'd ask. I assumed that it is simply too deep for such a method. Yes???
    ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Re: A scratch with depth

If ScratchX (with passion) didn't help at all I doubt the DA with 80 is going to do much either (as has been said....all you can do is try though) If it was mine, I'd try 83 with the DA and if I wanted to press further I think 105 by hand.....and if that failed I'd just fagitaboutit.

Mort

Comment

You're fingers pushing down on an applicator pad can exert more pressure to remove an isolated scratch as compared to the even pressure applied over the entire surface of the buffing pad.

Sounds like it might be too deep to remove by hand, usually sanding and the buffing with a rotary buffer is the best way to tackle RIDS

RIDS = Random Isolated Deeper Scratches

Do a search and use the word

Feathersanding

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks Mike. I found the article you wrote of. Very good info, but way beyond my skill level.
        ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');