• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between cleaner and polish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between cleaner and polish

What is the difference between the deep crystal cleaner and deep crystal polish? Do I need one since my car is only 4 weeks old and its colored white? Would you guys even recommend that I use a cleaner and polish every so often?

thanks

Re: Difference between cleaner and polish

Originally posted by fpalattao
    What is the difference between the deep crystal cleaner and deep crystal polish? Do I need one since my car is only 4 weeks old and its colored white? Would you guys even recommend that I use a cleaner and polish every so often?

thanks
    Hi fpalattao,

A paint cleaner is for cleaning the paint, i.e. removing defects, while a paint polish is for restoring brilliant high gloss, (not too brilliant on white paint), at least according to Meguiar's terminology.

Here is an article that thoroughly explains the difference between a paint cleaner and Meguiar's polishes,

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle - (The difference between a paint cleaner, a polish and a wax)

As to your questions,

Even though your car is brand new, it wouldn't hurt the first time, to apply a safe, gentle paint cleaner such as the Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner, this will insure that you have a clean, fresh base to start with.

Polishing is an optional step but one that I would recommend even for white paint, especially since you're starting out new.

As far as how often to clean and polish before re-applying wax, Meguiar's usually recommends [b]Evaluating the surface to tell visually, and through your sense of touch, what your car's finish needs in the way of maintenance. Know how the car is used and stored can also help. If the car is daily driver, parked outside during work hours, then chances are good, from time to time you will want to use a clay bar to remove bonded contaminants followed by a paint cleaner, or a cleaner/wax.

If the car is a garage queen, they you won't need to clay or clean your car's finish as often, it will depend on how often you drive it and park it exposed to the environment.

Hope this helps...

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I would agree with Mike.

When I bought a new car this spring, I just put a coat of NXT Tech Wax on as I wanted it protected right away. I knew and have done the clay, etc. on my other cars, but didn't have time to do all the steps right after the car was purchased.

The NXT Tech Wax looked *OK*, but it didn't last very long.

AFTER doing it right and *evaluating* the paint surface, I found that even though being a new car, I had a lot of surface contaniments. I gave the car a once over with a clay bar and used DC#1, which is Meguiar's mildest cleaner, just to get any left over dealer applied wax, etc.

After the cleaning, I applied a polish (#81) and two coats of NXT and the finish looked really great! The NXT Tech Wax lasted a lot longer also!!

Just because the car is new, don't expect the surface to be perfect. A lot of people think that a cars finish can't look any better than the day it's purchased and new. Many, including myself, have proven that to be untrue. After experimenting with different Meguiar product combos, my five month old car looks better than the day I bought it and outshines the other new cars sitting in the dealers showroom where I purchased the car!

Have fun!
      A great finish begins with the right start!

Comment

That is one of the things I like about the post Bird03 made documenting what he did to his new Thunderbird to transform it from so-so to Show Car!

My new Thunderbird

He thought it looked pretty good when he first purchased it, but then after closer inspection he found the finish to lacking of the kind of quality he expected and wanted in his dream car, so he went about taking things into his own hands and ended up with the finish he really wanted.

White paint will be harder to see defects on/in, but they're probably still there all the same.

Mike
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike, thanks for sharing that post! I must have missed that one!

You can really tell a big difference between the "day purchased" shot and the "car show" shot!

As I just added to my signature (below) just the other day . . .

"A great finish begins with the right start!!!"

Just proves what you can do with good products and the right process!
          A great finish begins with the right start!

Comment

Originally posted by fiberrich
            I would agree with Mike.

When I bought a new car this spring, I just put a coat of NXT Tech Wax on as I wanted it protected right away. I knew and have done the clay, etc. on my other cars, but didn't have time to do all the steps right after the car was purchased.

The NXT Tech Wax looked *OK*, but it didn't last very long.

AFTER doing it right and *evaluating* the paint surface, I found that even though being a new car, I had a lot of surface contaniments. I gave the car a once over with a clay bar and used DC#1, which is Meguiar's mildest cleaner, just to get any left over dealer applied wax, etc.

After the cleaning, I applied a polish (#81) and two coats of NXT and the finish looked really great! The NXT Tech Wax lasted a lot longer also!!

Just because the car is new, don't expect the surface to be perfect. A lot of people think that a cars finish can't look any better than the day it's purchased and new. Many, including myself, have proven that to be untrue. After experimenting with different Meguiar product combos, my five month old car looks better than the day I bought it and outshines the other new cars sitting in the dealers showroom where I purchased the car!

Have fun!

I might get a potential client after detailing my wife's new suv. The person said it looks better than new. It was just a quick coat of NXT wax and I did hit the hood with #80.

I did a detail today on a white civic. We used a Medallion Cleaner, the pads and towels were filthy after we finished. My point is I think white reponds best to a paint cleaner. The cleaner will help remove stains from the paint giving you a brighter white.

I 've found that new cars aren't well maintained by the dealership so yes DC 1, DC 2 and wax or DC 3 right away. Dealer prep is mostly a wash and tire grease.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');