• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing tape residue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing tape residue

Hey,

I took the spoiler off my Supra the other day just as an aesthetic trial and, as expected, there was 14 years worth of gunk collected under it. I got rid of all the dust and the majority of the outline that had faded into the paint, but there was also some double sided tape. I scraped a bit off carefully without damaging the paint but I'm unsure what to do with the rest without damaging the paint. I'm also struggling to get rid of the outline, where the spoiler was, completely from the paint.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'll try to put some pics up tomorrow.

thanks!

Re: Removing tape residue

Might try some bug and tar remover, or Goo Gone on the tape.

Remember that the reason the paint under the spoiler look different is because that is the original color.... it is the rest of the car that has faded and gotten dirty in the weather.

So it is the rest of the car that will have to be given a good full detail to try and bring it back to the original looks.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I agree with Murr. Use the goo gone then a full detail with a strong cleaner wax to improve the the faded paint.
      quality creates its own demand

Comment

Try WD-40!

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll give them all a crack tomorrow morning.

The paint underneath actually looks fine in comparison to the rest of the car.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

Goo Gone is awesome for stuff like that!

Comment

Tried some Bug and Tar Remover this morning, with little to no success unfortunately. Couldn't find any Goo Gone at my local Supercheap Auto.

Although I did get some pics to show you guys what I'm up against... (Ignore the small bits of duct tape, they're to avoid water getting in the boot lid holes and rusting it to pieces)

Just one of the car without the spoiler, can't decide if I prefer it or not! :P

Thanks again.

Comment

Try with some prepsol. If you're going to SCA again ask for Wax and Grease remover. They have K&H Wax & Grease remover.
                The Best Last Step, is the step backwards you take to admire your work!
                Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                If you use #7 on your car, you're not in good company... you're in GREAT company!

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');