• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dedicated microfibers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dedicated microfibers.

So it's become the norm for me to use microfibers for virtually everything. Wax, polish, ScratchX, QD, UQD, #34, Natural Shine, Mag & Aluminum Polish, QID, glass cleaner, etc, etc. The list is endless. My concern, how DEDICATED does everyone kep their microfibers, and even more specific, durring and after washes? There are the obvious scenarios, i.e. if you use a microfiber to apply product to a wheel well you would not be using that some other time (even after being washed) to remove wax from your paint. But if I were to use a microfiber to remove wax one day, should I only wash that microfiber with others that have been used for wax and should I only use that microfiber for wax there after? Can I use it for wax one day, wash and use it for polish the next? Even more extreme, if I use a microfiber to apply an interior dressing, should I make sure not to use it for removing polish and wax there after (after washing)? Should wax micros and interior dressing micros be washed together? Just trying to get a feel for what everyone else is doing so that I'm not going OVERBOARD as far as separating them.

My "arsenal" is growing (the wife said to me just the other day "Why do you need more rags (micros), you have a ton already!" ), but I still feel you can never have too much good stuff. (I think I've heard that somewhere before.) Just the idea of having a dedicated set for each product seems a little, well, overboard. I currently have 3 categories I try to keep my micros in, one for paint (wax, polish, UQD, etc), one for "clean" trim (Natural Shine, QD and #34 in door jambs, mirrors, roof racks, etc) and one for dirty trim (HD engine compartments, wheel wells, Hot Shine on the tires, etc). They get rotated on a downward scale as they become soiled.

So all in all, what does everyone else do? Usage, washing, reusing after washing? All feedback is greatly appreciated. Sorry, this seems a bit long winded.

Thanx in advance!

Re: Dedicated microfibers.

Well, here's what I do....

I have the Meguiars Supreme Shines and Water Magnets for the paint. I have cheaper Target and GE brand MF's for jobs like wheels, glass, interiors, dressings, etc.

Its pretty obvious which are which, so they each kind of do their jobs.

When you are detailing, you wont want to use a towel for removing cleaner, then remove polish and wax with the same towel. You'd want at least one for each step. But once they are washed, they can all just go back in the pile and be used for whatever steps again.

And I have not had any problems washing the different MF's together either.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I wash the different MF towels together as well and have not had any problems. Now I do use separate "shop" towels for the tires, engine, etc. that get really black and greasy. But the MFs for interior, waxing, QD, and glass cleaning I just wash all together.

Comment

I have a huge bulk of mf, terry and cotton towels which are used for glass, dressings, etc. etc. The other bulk is mf towels used for either wax or polish removal and sometimes drying... I wash them in those two groups.
        Ivan Rajic - LUSTR Auto Detail
        Chicago, Illinois

Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Comment

I tend to use the Wal-Mart Micros for the dirty jobs. The Supreme Shines are for paint only. So far not any issues with combining them in the wash.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');