• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minimum prep required?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimum prep required?

Hi guys. I have a classic 20 footer muscle car which I keep looking decent. 2 weeks ago, I washed, clayed, M83'd, M80'd, and NXT waxed the car. I have driven it just one time and the rest of the time it's been in the garage with a cover. Here's the question....I have a cruise this weekend and want it looking nice. Do I need to rewash and dry in order to polish (or perhaps just re-wax) with a PC DA? Perhaps I can quick detail it and go right to polishing?
    Huh....that didn't work.

Re: Minimum prep required?

Well, if you only drove it once and the rest of the time it's been in a garage with a cover, the car shouldn't be dirty...

Sounds like now would be a great time to purchase some Ultimate Quik Detailer. It not only creates an NXT-like deep gloss and shine, it boosts your previous layer of protection. It's great for exactly what you need. No re-waxing or polishing necessary!
    1998 Supermarine Blue Pearl Honda CR-V

Comment

I think if it is that fresh, just a wash, and then a follow up with Ultimate Quick Detailer or the Nxt spray wax should get the fresh looks back for you.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by 69Firebird View Post
        Hi guys. I have a classic 20 footer muscle car which I keep looking decent. 2 weeks ago, I washed, clayed, M83'd, M80'd, and NXT waxed the car. I have driven it just one time and the rest of the time it's been in the garage with a cover. Here's the question....I have a cruise this weekend and want it looking nice. Do I need to rewash and dry in order to polish (or perhaps just re-wax) with a PC DA? Perhaps I can quick detail it and go right to polishing?
        IMHO, it depends on the amout of dust/other contaminants on the paint surface as you drove out once. If its too dusty/has contaminants on the paint (cought during your drive), a good proper wash might be better rather than just QDng it.

As for polish, again it depends on the paint. If you see there still defects, well, do paint correction. If none/very minimal - directly waxing it might just do the trick.

Hope this help.

Tim
        ps: muscle car rules!
        Learning new things everyday

Comment

If your car is an older classic with single stage paint, you might want to give the #7 show car glaze a try after washing. It's the go-to product for cruise-ins and car shows that many classic car-buffs swear by!
          Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

Hi guys. I have a classic 20 footer muscle car which I keep looking decent.

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I usually dust the car with a Cal.Duster when I stop for gas and such and just before I put the cover on so it's pretty dust free. I just want a really nice, popping shine on it Saturday.
              One thing I didn't mention is that the water here is the worst water I've ever seen for spots. The cars actually look worse after a wash than before (not kidding) especially the black Pont. GA. So, I'm trying to avoid the washing step. Last year, I only washed it once. The rest of the time I used QD...the older stuff. I may try techjazz's suggestion of using UQD since I've wanted to try that too.
              SVT, I have some #7 actually. I think I will use that IF I go the route of a full polish, thanks for reminding me about it. The defects won't come out without a rotary buffer. I've tried twice with the PC and #83/8006. That won't happen until after I practice on the Explorer.

I got Mikes subtle hint about the pictures. I'm at work now, but I'll try to snap some at home if I have the time.

Thanks for the advice guys.
              Huh....that didn't work.

Comment

I got Mikes subtle hint about the pictures. I'm at work now, but I'll try to snap some at home if I have the time.

Until you post a picture.... what is it?

20' long Muscle Car could be any number of things...

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Until you post a picture.... what is it?

20' long Muscle Car could be any number of things...

Im gonna guess its a 69 Firebird?
                  If its fast, loud, and runs on a flammable liquid...count me in.

Comment

Originally posted by Jokeman View Post
                    No way.

Our 1959 Cadillac is a little longer than 19' it's actually about 19 and a half feet long which is as close to 20 feet as you can get when it comes to a long car.

Neither a first generation Firebird as well as Camaro aren't 20 feet long.

So... what's this other toy of yours? Inquiring minds want to know?

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jokeman View Post
                      LOL
                      Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Mike,

I am guessing 69 Firebird as well. I interpreted his "20 footer" remark to mean the car looks good from 20' away...as opposed to show car detail inspection. I only know this terminology because it applies to everything we own.
                        Stacy

Comment

Originally posted by southpactire View Post
                          Mike,

I am guessing 69 Firebird as well. I interpreted his "20 footer" remark to mean the car looks good from 20' away...
                          Keen insight Grasshopper...

Originally posted by southpactire View Post

I only know this terminology because it applies to everything we own.

Stacy
                          Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Jokeman is correct. It's a stretched Firebird. Just kidding.
                            lol
                            Actually Mike, I meant 20 footer as in the classic saying "It's a 20 footer; looks good from 20 feet away but up close the defects show." I'm sorry for any confusion. Sometimes things sound good in my head, but don't come out of my fingers as clearly.

Oops, didn't catch the page 2 to this or I would have noticed you all got it corrected without me.
                            Huh....that didn't work.

Comment

Oops, didn't catch the page 2 to this or I would have noticed you all got it corrected without me.
                              Yeperdoo.... we're pretty quick around here!
                              (in the mornings at least...)

Most of my cars have been 20 footers too... The Jimmy is actually about a 30 footer... The Sanger Drag Boat was a good 5 footer though...

Mike Phillips
                              760-515-0444
                              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');