• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bird dropping on week old paint...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bird dropping on week old paint...

My worst nightmare, AHHH!

Just got my BLACK truck back from getting some custom work done, had the whole tailgate and rear end repainted. Looked mint.

It was painted on Monday to my knowledge. Just got it back on Friday.

Saturday... I come outside and there's a bird dropping square on my tailgate. It could have been there for 8hrs. Truck was in the sun all day. Of course! I grabbed my Ultimate Quick Detailer and a microfibre and got the dropping itself off... but there is a MASSIVE etching left over.

This is complicated by the VERY new paint. How the heck do I take care of this without damaging something? My perfect mirror finish was shortlived
    -- Kristina

Re: Bird dropping on week old paint...

New paint seems to be softer, so could be easier to etch, but also hopefully easier to fix.

You have done much paint care before? What sort of paint cleaners do you have on hand?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I don't have anything serious... in my kit now I think I have the basics, which is a couple bottles of Scratch X, Ulimate Quick Detailer, NXT 2.0 wax, claybar stuff, etc etc. I'm willing to do/get anything though... .
      -- Kristina

Comment

If it is truely etched which is typical of bird dropping baked in. You may be screwed.

It may be possible to "color sand" Fine wet sanding... To remove damage, better to pay somone that knows what they are doing here... It may fix, may not. And compounding to remove color sand scratches will be required.

Comment

Well, the only thing that can be done is remove the etching, or remove all the paint and start over.... so lets just try removing the etching.

Try applying some scratchX with medium passion, then applying with a bit more passion as needed. Just work it in well, so it breaks down, then check your results.

I just wouldnt start out withh "full" passion in case of leaving any unneeded marring, but the paint will be hardening up quickly after a week, so the regular full passion may be needed.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Hi:

A picture would be a big help if possible.

It is possible to get an etching out with Scratch-X.

Just depends on the damage.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

Regards,

KTruck
            Make it Shine

Comment

Originally posted by Kristina View Post
              I don't have anything serious... in my kit now I think I have the basics, which is a couple bottles of Scratch X, Ulimate Quick Detailer, NXT 2.0 wax, claybar stuff, etc etc. I'm willing to do/get anything though... .
              Are you trying to get this out by hand or are you using a machine?
              AeroCleanse, LLC
              Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
              www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

As long as the body shop sprayed at least 2 coats of clear over the area you should be able to massage the etching out. How many coats is kind of relative as a painter can spray thin or thick coats, point is as long as this was a quality repair job there should be enough film-build or thickness of the clear layer to enable you to remove the etching.

The fastest way would be to get a quart of M105 as the below pictures demonstrate.... ScratchX could be used but it will require more applications and more passion. Another option would be to take it back to the body shop and show them what happened and then cross your fingers they know how to buff paint without instilling swirls and see if they'll fix the area.

It would take about 30 seconds to remove an etching with M105 using a rotary buffer with a wool cutting pad. That's the problem however... finding someone competent enough to buff paint without simply replacing the etching with swirls.

Open Class - Pictures & Comments - June 28th, 2008

Here's some before & after pictures of two bird dropping etchings we removed by HAND

The first one we removed by hand using M105 Ultra Cut Compound, the second one we removed by hand using ScratchX.

The results were both amazing but what most people found interesting was the M105 removed 99.9% of the defect with one application while ScratchX removed about 95% of the defect with 3 applications.

ScratchX also required more "Passion behind the pad" for each application while M105 required some passion to engage the product with the paint but nowhere near as much pressure or as much time.

First we'll frame up the shot so you can see the car and where the bird dropping etchings were. The etching being pointed to is the one we removed using M105 and just to the left of that spot is the bird dropping etching we removed using ScratchX

Except for the first picture, all the rest are original photos, no touch-up work at all was done to them. Some were cropped and resized but that's just so they will fit on your monitor.

The finish overall is swirled-out but Bob's going to put his new learned skills and knowledge to work to restore a show car finish for his wife!

M105 Before

M105 After

ScratchX Before

ScratchX After

Both work if you work them but it was very apparent that for removing below surface defects by hand M105 Ultra Cut Compound was the hands-down winner.
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks guys, no I will be working by hand... unfortunately. I would want to get some pro training before I even looked at a rotary buffer... hah!

I am experienced with Scratch X as I spent literally 6.5 hrs doing nothing but that earlier this spring. By hand. I've never had so many wrist issues in the days following, ouch!

I mainly wanted to make sure I wouldn't want to damage the new paint with ScratchX. It was a quality job, I was not told how many layers are on but I am 100% confident it is thick enough to take it.

The M105 results look very interesting... I may have to look into that.

I will try to get a photo today.
                  -- Kristina

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');