• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where can I get my paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I get my paint?

Hi Folks,

I realize doing touch up on paint chips is difficult and probably won't look great. I'm not really going for looks here.... I shall explain....

A couple of weeks ago a rock hit my roof going 85 miles an hour down the highway. It left a decent sized little dent and took the paint off down to the bare metal. It has now started to rust.

Under the assumption that crummy looking protection is better than the rust continuing, I would like to try to touch it up a bit, even though I know it's not going to look great. So I have a few questions:

Where can I find touch up paint in my color?

What's the best way to remove the rust?

Is it a big deal if I just dab in some paint and no clear?

Thanks a bunch. I don't want my roof rusted through. This is my only ding with paint removed. So sad that daily drivers get abused even when we're so careful....

Re: Where can I get my paint?

If Your Talking About A Ford The Dealer Is Your Best Bet For Touch Up.they Have Factory Colors In Lacquer With Clear Mixed In And It Dries To A Shine. In Pa They Run Around $7.00 A Bottle And On Some The Have A Very Small Wire Brush On Top To Remove The Rust In The Chip. Your Paint Code Should Be In The Drivers Door Jamb And A 2 Letter Code Marked Exterior.

Comment

Yeah, I'd go with the dealership. Up to you if you would want to buy a bit of clear from an auto-store.

I just use a bit of sandpaper to remove any little bit of rust, and just on the edge to catch any other loose paint. Then dab paint in with a toothpick, a thin layer at a time.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I've heard of people glueing a small piece of sandpaper the the eraser end of a pencil and using that to sand the rust.. that was you can focus on the spot.

Comment

Get it from the dealership. Also, spend some time shaking it really good. Not just a minute, go for like 5. It will make sure the paint is fully mixed, along with any metallic.

Comment

I would also go with the dealership. It will be the closest match. Good luck with the repair. Glad no one was hurt. The rock could of hit the windshield.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

A prep pen is also a good way to remove the rust. It has fiberglass strands that make up a abrasive tip. I used 1 a couple of times and it worked really well. Its also alot less messier than trying to glue sandpaper to a pencil and its smaller to get in furthur.

Comment

I always thought this place looked interesting. I've never purchased from them before.

paintscratch
                Scott

Comment

Here's another tip...

Go to a crafts or artist supply store and pick up a quality, very fine tipped paint brush and a little bottle of paint thinner to clean it after you're done with it.

A fine tipped paint brush works so much better for applying small amounts of paint versus the built-in brush in the cap.

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');