• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to best Determinine which Megs Wax Suits my Style?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to best Determinine which Megs Wax Suits my Style?

I’ve been using different Meguiars products (some probably not as intended) for a while and would like to try to clear up a few questions I have regarding what should I be using for exterior car detailing. Specifically, I am trying to determine what or which ones would ideally suit me and my car care style. I have tried a hybrid of the 3-step Deep Crystal system, by using Step 1: Deep Crystal System Paint Cleaner, followed by #7 Show Car Glaze, and than #26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax. Between waxes, I use Quik Wax (although next time, I intend to purchase the Ultimate Quick Detailer).

My results have been good, but I'm unsure that they are optimal for what I want to achieve vs. the time I'm wiling to spend. I think I understand the basic principles of car detailing and care, in terms of paint prep etc., so here are my conditions and questions:

Assumptions:
    Dark colored gray car
    Driven daily and only garaged nightly
    Summertime temperatures up to 100 degrees (I also will experience cold winter temperatures along with some salt due to snow)
    I’m willing to wash once a week and wax as much as necessary (or once every 2 weeks)

Driving Conditions
    Given of the 3-step process of paint cleaning/polishing/protecting (waxing), how often does one typically do step 1: paint clean?
    What products should I use in an ideal car-wash follow up (i.e., given the time, should I polish and wax again, or just use a quick detailer)?
    How do I choose between NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 or Gold Class Liquid Wax or say #26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax, assuming that my primary goal is shine and gloss over ease of application or durability? Or do I need to buy and try them all?

Those are the primary questions, with the only other lesser question being how does one determine which quick detailer best suits there needs (assuming the answer to question #2 of an ideal car-wash follow-up is to use a QD instead of re-waxing).

Re: How to best Determinine which Megs Wax Suits my Style?

Well, you only need to clean the paint if there are defects you want to get rid of. You don't have to clean the paint everytime before you wax. Is it optimal to clean before you wax? Sure, because it gives a clean surface. Is it absolutely necessary? No, I usually just wax when I need (or want) to and everything works just fine.

Following a car wash: you could wax, use Quik Wax, or wipe the car down with QD/UQD to remove any water spots/ water runs. Using a QD though will not enhance your protection, whereas using Quik Wax or an actual wax will.

NXT 2.0 is a synthetic wax that has the Hydrophobic Technology that UQD has.
    Gold Class is a polish/wax.
    M26 is a pure yellow carnauba wax.

Ultimately, the shine and gloss is going to come from your eyes. Everyone has their wax that provides the best shine and gloss. I have used all 3 of those, and to be honest, the car's shine and gloss looks the same. Sure it may vary a bit between them, but not enough that 99% of people would even notice.

For QDs, UQD/M135 will ultimately enhance NXT 2.0 since they share the same technology. QD is a basic spray and wipe. M34 Final Inspection is body shop safe. Last Touch is a QD available by the gallon that leaves a slick finish. They each have their own properties, just like the waxes.

Comment

See my answers in blue...

Originally posted by Complex403 View Post

My results have been good, but I'm unsure that they are optimal for what I want to achieve vs. the time I'm wiling to spend. I think I understand the basic principles of car detailing and care, in terms of paint prep etc., so here are my conditions and questions:

Driving Conditions
      Given of the 3-step process of paint cleaning/polishing/protecting

1. (waxing), how often does one typically do step 1: paint clean?

Only once until the paint is neglected and goes down hill or gets new swirls, scratches and other defects.

2. What products should I use in an ideal car-wash follow up (i.e., given the time, should I polish and wax again, or just use a quick detailer)?

Most people just use Quik Detailer or a variation of it.

3. How do I choose between NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 or Gold Class Liquid Wax or say #26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax, assuming that my primary goal is shine and gloss over ease of application or durability?

Sometimes the only way to figure out which product is best for you and your car is to try them all.

R&D states that NXT and M21 contain our best protecting ingredients but that's not a claim that it lasts the longest, it's a claim that says our best protecting wax in NXT and/or M21.

How long a wax lasts depends upon things that are out of our control.

4. Or do I need to buy and try them all?
      Sometimes that's the only way...

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

OK I have a somewhat related question. post Hijack

Would using Deep crystal paint Cleaner three times a year followed by # 20 sealant would that be too much cleaning action on the paint and these are clearcoated daily drivers.

OR

use DC #1 in spring folowed by 20 then the other two times before ise 20 subtitute #81 hand polish for DC # ! would that gentler or better for the paint since #20 has some cleaners in it.

thanx in advance mongo

Comment

You might be thinking a little too much into it.

DC1 is very mild.. you could use it monthly for years if you wanted.... of course that might be overkill...

#20 wont be too much stronger if at all.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Please don't take threads off on your own topic, it's just as easy to start a new thread of your own.

Originally posted by mongo View Post
            OK I have a somewhat related question. post Hijack

Would using Deep crystal paint Cleaner three times a year followed by # 20 sealant would that be too much cleaning action on the paint and these are clearcoated daily drivers.

OR

use DC #1 in spring followed by 20 then the other two times before ise 20 subtitute #81 hand polish for DC # ! would that gentler or better for the paint since #20 has some cleaners in it.

thanx in advance mongo
            Like Matt stated, you're thinking these products you mention are overly aggressive and that's just not the case, they are all gentle to the paint, use them as much as you like.

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

If you take the old movie "Highlander" and turn it inside out...In the end, there can never be just one. That's been my experience with a lot of Meguiar's products. At present, I count eight different waxes/cleaner wax type products in my cabinet. I use some more than others but have used all at one time or another....depending on paint condition with some and on my mood for others. Good thing I only have one car

Mort

Comment

Sometimes you just are trying to find a better(in your eyes )combination. I have a lot of waxes also. You try different combos and see if it looks better in your eyes.
                quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');