• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scratch removal on my new RV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratch removal on my new RV

Hello all,

I've been a detailing hobbyist for the past 20 years, have always used Meguiar's products with great success. I'm one of those anal retentive 40 year old guys who uses his good towels to dry the cars...

After a couple of years of saving, we took the plunge and purchased a new RV, a 36' Holiday Rambler. This thing is awesome. After our first trip we had a small punch list of things to fix and I drove to the dealership this past Saturday. While driving I heard a crash inside and pulled onto a side street to make sure all the cabinet and shower doors were closed. After checking everything out, I had to drive on a one lane road to get back on the highway. To my absolute horror, I made a turn and found both sides of the rig against tree branches that were overhanging the sides of the road. I couldnt turn around....

Got to the dealer and found scratches on both sides of the rig. Some not so bad, one in particular that got into the clear coat. I havent slept in three days.

This is a fiberglas rig. It's got smooth sides which was an option.

I've got a Porter Cable DA polisher and am proficient in its use. My question (sorry for the long story) is to determine the best steps to take as I tackle buffing out the paint. The good news is that the scratches are almost 9 feet off the ground so I dont necessarily have to get it 100% perfect, but if I dont do a good enough job this will drive me crazy. I'd like to start with the most non invasive (Scratch X) first, but am wondering what to use next and in what order if this doesnt work.

I use foam pads on my DA, but usually just the white ones with no cut. I've got only minimal experience with compounds so any advice you give would be much appreciated.

I would have rather rolled this thing over than have scratches in it. The sides are covered with vinyl graphics making paint touch ups almost impossible without a large repair bill.

I dont have photos of the scratches yet because the rig is still at the dealer getting the punch list addressed. I plan to get it back this weekend, when I plan to jump on getting this fixed to my best ability.

Should I use different pads? Is the DA polisher sufficient for a serious scratch? Can someone recommend a good support group for idiots who drive on the wrong road???

Re: Scratch removal on my new RV

Sorry to hear about that.

If the sides are fiber glass then I would say youre working with gel-coat. If thats the case, you could check out the marine line that meguiars has to remove those scratches.
    Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
    Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

Re: Scratch removal on my new RV

From your description, before we make any recommendations it would be a lot better, safer and accurate if we could first see some pictures.

A far shot of the side of the RV so we have a big picture view of what you're working on and then maybe a picture or two of the worst parts of the scratches. Also anywhere they go into graphics.

Deep scratches are best removed by sanding them out and then using a rotary buffer or now days M105 by hand. This is where it can get complicated. So instead of posting more, we would like to see some pictures.

Sorry to hear of the mishap...
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');