• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Having problems with stray cats on car.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Having problems with stray cats on car.

My 2008 Mustang is a daily driver, and it sits outside, and lately has been getting a walk-over by cats who like to leave their dirty paw prints all over the blue metallic finish. The cats have put a few scratches in the paint, nothing major, but I'm holding off on re-waxing until I get some resolution to the cat problem so I don't make the problem worse by making the finish so slick they will leave bigger, deeper scratches.

What I'm wondering, when I get around to re-waxing, to get the scratches out, would it be wise to use Deep Crystal® System Paint Cleaner or a Cleaner Wax before adding a layer of my favorite Meguiars product, NXT Generation Tech Wax® 2.0 Paste?

I appreciate anyone's input on this matter. Also, what is the big difference with liquid and paste waxes?

Re: Help! Having problems with stray cats on car.

1- When they get near, hit the panic button. They really don't like it. Did that to my new neighbors cats a couple of times and they won't even go near it. Helps being under 2 car covers right now as well.

2- You will probably need something like Scratch X. Newer Mustangs have a harder clearcoat.

3- One is a liquid and the other a paste. Really though, nothing is different except that.

Comment

Just to chime in, sometimes cats will have a higher tendency to scratch the car cover. Few years ago, I've used the thin and also the thick version of car covers and it just made it worse as the cats loves to dig their claws on it...so what i did is something like what Tyler said.."conditional learning"... scare them away for couple of times and with luck they will just go other places. ....or ....BB gun

Tim
      Learning new things everyday

Comment

Could use ColorX for a one step... slightly stronger cleaner/wax and top with NXT 2.0
        Rob A.
        '09 Kia Optima (Bronze Metallic)
        '07 Kia Optima (Gold)

Comment

Cats do not seem to like black pepper

cut up a pair of pantyhose in 6 -8 inch sections fill with pepper and tie off ends.

Lay on car.

Comment

Liquid vs paste
            for me liquid gives me a better bang for the buck,a more even coverage a little easier to remove same protection, 18 oz bottle nxt 2.0 last me avg. 4 - 6 2 coat details. Avg size cars.

Comment

You can try http://www.contech-inc.com/products/scatmat/ designed for indoor use, but it may work.
              AeroCleanse, LLC
              Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
              www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

I agree with what everyone is saying to help with the scratches. What I have found also goes along with the conditional learning thing for the cats. I went to the dollar store and picked up 2 very large containers of ground cayenne pepper powder. I made a ring around the car far enough away so the cats had to walk on it. You may still get some orange foot print on the car until they learn. Once the cat starts cleaning itself it gets lit up from the cayenne pepper powder.

Andrew
                2013 Race Red F-150 SCREW

Comment

Re: Help! Having problems with stray cats on car. MY SOLUTION!

Here kitty kitty kitty ...

Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

ha ha ha

I was going to suggest rock salt and a .410
                    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

haha, superior shine!

I've heard that cats dont like vinegar, and try to scare them away a few times like tyler said.

sounds like you've got a Vista Blue Stang, good job!

ScratchX will get the scratches out, if you're doing it by hand, you'll have to use a little pasison.

there's not much difference btwn paste and liquid, but my preference is a liquid paste, such as NXT 2.0, I've found them to be easier to lay down a thin coat.
                      2004 Mustang GT - Sonic Blue

Comment

Gotta be careful about threads like this.. Some people are very immature and it turns into a fighting battle about what to do.

Ive never had the problem but like others have said, find something they dont like and use it often. If it were me I would just spray them with a water hose till they stop coming. Wont hurt them and they hate it.
                        Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                        Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

Having cats myself I have found only 1 thing effective in teaching them.. Water guns...
                          The only problem is catching them in the act, you can't just shoot them at random to train you need to shoot them only when they jump on the car... Good luck

Comment

With the panic button though, you don't have to worry about water spots, lol! Guess it depends on the horn though. I had mine replaced under warranty because it started to go out and it is louder than most truck horns, so it works well for me.

Comment

I like the water gun use. No harm and they will learn. For what it's worth. I prefer the liquid wax.
                              quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');