• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Claymation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claymation

I used clay for the first time on my Black Mach 1, and to be honest I don't know if it worked or not. I tried the baggy trick and it didn't feel too rough before or after. How hard should I press the clay onto the surface and how many times should I go over the same area. I guess it took me about 1/2 an hour to do the horitonal surfaces but I don't know if I did it right. Any help would be great. Thanks.
    Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

Hi 1BadMach1,

It sounds like it's possible that your finish didn't need to be clayed?

If you cannot feel any little tiny bumps on the surface after washing, this is a good indicator that your car's finish doesn't have any bonded contaminants.

Did you inspect the side of the clay after claying to see visually if the clay removed anything?

Sometimes, the clay will remove things we cannot see or feel. If nothing else, you can take comfort that your car's finish is free from any bonded contaminants.

As far as time and pressure, 1-2 lbs of pressure, (light pressure), should suffice, and usually 2-3 passes over one area should be enough. When claying areas that have a lot of bonded contaminants, you can feel when the surface is smooth and the contaminants are removed because the clay bar will begin to slide easily over the surface. On a surface with lots of bonded contaminants, when you first start out, it will not slide easily because the clay is going to want to grab or stick a little as it passes over the contaminants.

Your sense of feel in this situation will tell you when it's time to move to a new area.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply Mike. I inspected the clay fairly closely after I used it and I did notice a little "dirt" in the clay but nothing that was unbelievable. I just assumed that I hadn't used it correctly or I hadn't gone over it enough. I'm going to give it a whirl on girlfriends car and see what happens. Her car is a little older and it is stored out side all of the time. I let you know what I come up with. Thanks again for the quick answer.
      Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

Comment

Sounds good,

If your girlfriends car is parked outside all of the time, I'm sure you're going to see a big difference in what you see on the clay.

Have fun...

Mike
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');