• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is #80 stronger than scratch x?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is #80 stronger than scratch x?

Scratch X isn't cutting it for me by hand, neither did color x via orbital with a terry bonnet, I see 80 is safe for orbital so I was thiking about giving it a shot but if its less than scratch x then no need..

So what do you think? Is 80 Stronger than scratch-x for removing swirls / spiderwebbing and scratches if I use it with an orbital?
    Thanks!

Re: Is #80 stronger than scratch x?

Yes, it is stronger. It should still be stronger no matter the application method because, well, it is a more aggressive product. SX will only be stronger when using it by hand to remove isolated scratches.

Comment

What are you working on?
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Black 99 Ford mustang, base coat / clear...
        I used to maintain it but when I moved from home I had to leave it behind for a while so it sat basically for about 4 years just washed every now and again, its got swirling / spiderwebing, but worst seems to be water spots, Getting the clay kit for my birthday wed and am gonna try that but I don't have high hopes since scratch-x by hand isnt' touching them...

I tried color-x as well by hand and with my 10" random orbit buffer and it helped very very slightly, mainly just removed oxidation, I'm also getting a 6" Sears random orbit so its a smaller pad and more power than mine, hoping it wil help some, I know its not as great as a da but its what I've got to work with for now..

This paint seems to have gotten very hard..
        If you look in my albums you can see it, I used a rotary from work with some very mild products with supervision and it removed most of the swirls form the hood but if you look at this pic you can see the little "dots" in the reflection those are water spots, almost makes the paint look like it has multiple "craters" like the surface of the moon but you can't scratch them or catch them with your fingernail.

I'm basically trying to get rid of them on my own, I can use the rotary from work but just don't feel comfortable with it yet esp with more aggressive products...

Comment

On mine, I need M83 and an 8006 pad with the G-100 polisher to completely get the swirls out of the paint. What are your expectations? All of the swirls gone, some, most...

Comment

Clay will take care of surface contaminants, but the water spots are down in the paint.

I have not used those types of machines, but there is the possibility you could actualy apply more force to the paint with your hand rather than those machines. What ever product you use needs worked in woth some force/passion to actualy remove paint, and those machines might just stop turning instead.

I have only used #105 on a small spot, but people who have used it on a whole car seem to like it more than ScratcHX.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
              On mine, I need M83 and an 8006 pad with the G-100 polisher to completely get the swirls out of the paint. What are your expectations? All of the swirls gone, some, most...

To be honest the water spots look worst than the swirls... Car looks like it has acne...
              there is one water spot, I'll take a pic tomorrow of it, that with 3 applications of scratch x using terry with just the tip of my finger rubbing back and forth with as much pressure as possible didn't even phaze it...

Comment

Originally posted by 99GrandTouring View Post

that with 3 applications of scratch x using terry with just the tip of my finger rubbing back and forth with as much pressure as possible didn't even phaze it...
                Wouldn't it be nice if car manufactures used paints that were more user friendly for the car owner? See my comments on page 4 of this thread, 6th post down the page.

M105 by hand using good technique will remove the swirls and water mark etchings...

How To Remove a Bird Dropping Etching by Hand using M105 Ultra Cut Compound

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I have to agree. Probably need some M105 for spot applications. That and D151 are on my list to get.

Comment

Well I don't think its fixable, I went out tonight once it cooled down with a flashlight to check it out / see if scratch-x would work better with the car cold and with the flashlight it doesn't look cloudy it looks like a grouping of tiny little scratches almost like a ice crystal structer under the clear, I'm guessing this is clear coat failure?
                    I've seen cc failure on my crown vic that basically lookes like the color is fading out from it but not like this, this looks almost like something hit it and cracked the paint layer underneat but the clear stayed ok / intact...
                    Looks similar to the last pic in this post

Is this clear coat failure or impact damage?
                    Thanks!

Comment

99grand, I think I have identical damage on my 99 Malibu. The clear appears ok, but the paint appears cracked underneath. Drives me nuts and I just don't think I can fix it

Comment

Originally posted by 99GrandTouring View Post

Is this clear coat failure or impact damage?

Thanks!
                        These are cracks in the paint due to probably some type of impact with a foreign object but also some contaminants can do this to paint also.

Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by zephyrland View Post
                          99grand, I think I have identical damage on my 99 Malibu. The clear appears ok, but the paint appears cracked underneath. Drives me nuts and I just don't think I can fix it
                          You are right, you cannot fix cracks in paint or lacquer checking except by repainting the car or the affected area because the cracks are not a defect "on" the paint but "throughout" the layer of paint.

Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I see that #66 is listed just as agressive as #80 and both are ok to use with an orbital, would both perform equally as well or is one a better choice for cleaning ability?
                            Thanks!

Comment

M80 will clean better simply because it is a cleaner/polish and M66 is a cleaner/polish/wax. The more things one product does, the less it will actually do of each.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');