• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help needed - may be in the wrong forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed - may be in the wrong forum

Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong forum but I'm new round here and am a bit confused as to what products I can use.

I have a Mini which I stripped the bulkhead/engine bay to bare metal and after etching up painted with some rust proofing (POR-15), then top coated with primer/top coat.

The Top coat was done using Cellulose Spray cans (sorry prob not the level of finish most of you guys are used to, but gotta start somewhere ). The finish isn't bad (definitely better than it was and good enough for a daily drive Mini) but it needs buffing up.

There are a few areas (flat places where I have a couple of small runs)which I was thinking about colour sanding with some 1500 grit, but what do I use to buff it up after?

And also I think the whole newly painted area needs cutting/buffing, and I have been recommended to use Meguiars but cannot tell which products I should use.

Any advice appreciated!

Re: Help needed - may be in the wrong forum

here's a simple option.

Assuming you are painting black??

wetsand your paint runs and any blemishes then apply a Duplicolor semi-gloss black trim paint. clean look- easy to touch up and simple

Alot of engine compartments are black

If not a black, you could coat with a gloss clear coated aerosol over your top coat...no buffing

If you do buff it out you probably need a 4" bonnet for the tight areas and use a small amount of medium glaze or "Fine #2".

wet sand with 2000 or 2500 grit first.
    PICTURES WOULD HELP

Comment

Re: Help needed - may be in the wrong forum

Hi.

It's not black, it's body colour, which in this case is Rover Old English White. Here's a few pics below, sorry not best quality:

It must be understood I am not looking for a concourse finish here, just want to polish/buff the new paint up to a gloss so the Fine #2 could be an option. Didn't really want to clear coat it if possible.

Just incase you were interested this is what it looked like before....

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');