• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new, here's some question about prep/NXT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new, here's some question about prep/NXT

Hello,

New to this site, just spent a couple hours reading - got some questions now.

I've read, and it basically comes down to this to 'quick detail' a car:

1) wash
    2) claybar (do i need a paint cleaner here?)
    3) wash (I do have to re-wash after first claybar, right?)
    4) scratch X, or #9 (but no buffer, so scratch X)
    5) deep crystal polish? or colour X? not sure here.
    6) NXT

is that about right? i don't have the funds to go nuts with the detailing like i'd like (university student) but that's what i've gathered from reading; i've searched but haven't exactly found it in that order, more snippets, thought i'd put it together.

another question: now if i want to do a second layer of NXT, what would i have to do? i read that you would have to wait 12 hours between applications. would i have to rewash prior to re applying, or repeat steps 1 throgh 6?

Also, if I do all this, only to find the car dusty, should I use a duster then meguiar's quick detailer? would that be acceptable?

as for drying the washes, can I just use a chamois? and can I use a terry towel for the NXT and Scratch X, or just a MF cloth?

I'm sorry for all the questions; I just hope that maybe some can be answered here!

Oh, and my paint is in good condition, it's two years old, but heavily swirled.

Thanks!

Tyler

i'll try giving this a shot.

1. correct
    2. correct about the clay, the paint cleaner is for the next step.
    3. here is where you could use either #9 or ScratchX or ColorX. ColorX can be used as a polish. since you are doing this by hand, i think ScratchX or ColorX might work best. #9 might work too, but it might also be a lot of work. in general, working by hand is A LOT of work.
    4. DC polish might be a better choice. or a 'pure polish' like #7 or equivalent. #7 can be quite difficult to work with, so DC polish might be the better choice.
    5. NXT x2

for the NXT, you should wait 12 hours before applying the 2nd coat, but you can also apply it 1 hour afterwards too.
    as far as whether to wash or quick detail, it all depends on if the car gets dirty in between application of each coat. if the car just gets dusty, it be better to quick detail the car, but dusting it is okay as long as you are very careful in not scratching the car. a california duster might be okay to use as long as you are careful.

for drying the car, a waffle weave microfiber towel would be ideal as it would 'pick up' any dirt on the surface. a good microfiber towel would also work. but if you can't get either, a chamois is okay, just be careful there isn't any dirt or dust or other stuff on the surface. for the rest (polish, NXT) a MF towel is better.

good luck. doing it by hand is going to involve a lot of work, but with a lot of elbow grease and patience, your car can look good. have fun!
    Reid

------------------------------------------------

2004 Azure Blue Mustang Mach1 - Do not view in sunny, cloudless conditions.

Comment

Thanks for the tips! As of right now, the car is quite shiny, but the paint is very...cloudy, i guess.

unfortunately, all will have to be done by hand, cannot front the $ for a PC at this point.

still more questions:

do i have to rewash after the clay bar? and when drying, would i chamois it first, then clay, then rewash, to then dry again. then use scratch X, then deep colour, then NXT? wow that's alot of cloths!

Thanks for the help, nice to always learn.

Tyler

Comment

do you have a digital camera and able to take a picture and post it? meg's online gives you an album you can upload and store the picture in. that might help clear up what you said about it being shiney yet cloudy.

i don't think it is necessary to wash after claying. just follow the directions of the clay bar and you should be okay and ready to polish the car.

so here's the steps:

1. wash, rinse, and dry the car
        2. clay bar, spray on the clay lubricant, clay, then wipe surface dry
        3. polish w/ scratch x
        4. deep crystal polish
        5. NXT, two coats

yeah, get a lot of MFs. do you have a Costco or Sam's Club nearby? if so and you can go, try get a couple packs of the MF towels they sell there. they aren't the best, but they're good enough and won't scratch the paint.

if you want to save time, get ColorX as it will replace steps 3 & 4. try checking out the 'extreme makeover' section for a bronco mike philips did by hand using a clay bar, ColorX, and NXT.

good luck.
        Reid

Comment

Hey,

I checked out that Bronco II post. DAYMN that was nice. will it have the same efefct as both Scarcth X and DC? I may as well just skip that step then.

I'll try to get some pics uploaded later...

Thanks,

Tyler

Comment

Originally posted by trianglor
            Hey,

I checked out that Bronco II post. DAYMN that was nice. will it have the same effect as both ScratchX X and DC? I may as well just skip that step then.

I'll try to get some pics uploaded later...

Thanks,

Tyler
            Hi Tyler,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

After claying, you can do either of these and you should get great results.

* ScratchX followed by Deep Crystal Polish, followed by Tech Wax

* ColorX followed by Tech Wax

Usually a multi-step process using dedicated products will result in optimum results, but... the ColorX/NXT combo works great too and saves a step.

Mike
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike,

Thanks for the welcome! I think i'm going to try the ColourX followed by Tech wax step. sounds like it should work wonders.

I'll post some before after pics when i'm done, should be soon.

Thanks!

Tyler

Comment

good luck!

just try to follow the steps and procedures Mike did with that Bronco, and you should get some nice results. also, start the ColorX off with a foam applicator and see if that works well in cleaning up your paint of the swirls. if not, you could try a terry towel (like Mike did) as this will give more 'bite' and be better at removing the swirls. just a warning, working by hand is hard work, but you can get good results. but if you really work it, it is possible to remove the swirls. just be ready for a good work out!
                Reid

Comment

Basically, I think it comes down to what kind of results you are looking for. If you absolutely flawless results then taking the extra step (ScratchX and Deep Crystal Polish) will definitly help. If you just want a real nice look and want to save a little time then use the ColorX. Either will give great results.

I'll warn you ahead of time, properly applying ScratchX to the entire car will take lots of time and effort.

Good luck!

Chris
                  Chris

"Once a Meguiar's user...always a Meguiar's user!"

1994 Accord

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');