• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waxing results are poor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waxing results are poor

I went to your web site to get instructions to detail my 7 year old Toyota Avalon. All of the prep work was great but when I waxed the car this morning with Gold Class Liquid Wax I did not get good results. The surface is smeared. It looks like the wax did not go on evenly. Some spots are shiny and others are not. I was not able to find the wax your home page recommended. I forget the name of the wax, its type began with a "C".

What did I do wrong? I applied the wax by hand using the pad provided in the box and removed the film with microfiber cloths.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

SteveB

Re: Waxing results are poor

did you let it dry? and did you do it in the sun?

Comment

Sounds like a classic case of putting it on too thick.
      ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

Originally posted by vit0 View Post
        did you let it dry? and did you do it in the sun?
        Yes, I let it dry. I waxed the entire car before removing film. Waxing took about an hour. I did not wax it in the sun. The temperature was in the mid 70's and cloudy.

Comment

Can you list what you did prior to waxing please. It'll help us diagnose your problem.

Comment

It sounds like you either applied to thick of a coating, did not apply an even coating or did not let it completely dry and it's possible all three.

Try wiping one panel clean with a mist and wipe product like Quik Detailer or washing the panel with a car wash and then only to this one panel apply the same wax only this time focus on applying only a thin coating using a circular, overlapping motion.

Allow the wax to completely dry before removing. Use what we call The Swipe Test to check your results to insure the wax is dry before removing.

Then tell us what happens...

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Could the wax name you forgot be Color-X? That would be great for a 7 year old car.
              2011 Ford Mustang GT Cali Special
              2012 Kia Sorento EX

Comment

What did you use for your prep work? Did you use clay? cleaner wax? I may help us provide some kind of solution.

Andy
                Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
                Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by 3Fitty View Post
                  Sounds like a classic case of putting it on too thick.
                  ^ My money is on this.

Originally posted by SteveB View Post
                  Waxing took about an hour.
                  ^ This is a good clue that the wax wasn't removed properly. Some of us are quicker than others, but I've never applied then removed wax by hand in less than about three hours.
                  Originally posted by Blueline
                  I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');