• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Never Been Waxed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never Been Waxed

I purchased a 2002 Lexus ES 300 a few months ago, I have taken very gentle care of it since. It's previous owner used regular car washes and used the trunk often. There are scratches on the rear bumper and car wash scratches on other angles/sides of the vehicle. The car also has swirls, not severe yet.

I have used nothing but Armor All Wash/Wax Soap since and it works great, but I don't think this car has ever been waxed or polished. I am not sure if I want to wax it at all/yet. I just used Turtle Wax Liquid Clay bar on it, and now am going to use Ultimate Quick Detailer. Should I use any polish or wait until my shipment of professional series (M80, etc) gets in... Also do clay bars remove previous/old wax and polish?

I can get pictures up soon, I don't know if the swirls are severe enough to use the DA on like my Honda. The interior Wood Grain Glossy Dash also had many swirls, but ScratchX Took care of them .

Thanks Again!

Matt

Re: Never Been Waxed

Originally posted by Megafast13 View Post

I don't think this car has ever been waxed or polished. I am not sure if I want to wax it at all/yet.

I just used Turtle Wax Liquid Clay bar on it, and now am going to use Ultimate Quick Detailer.

Should I use any polish or wait until my shipment of professional series (M80, etc) gets in... Also do clay bars remove previous/old wax and polish?
    Claying removes anything on the surface, so yes claying will remove any wax currently on the surface.

At this point waiting a day or a few days won't make much difference if you going to take M80 to it with a DA Polisher.

Waxing it with anything will at least give the paint a coating of protection until you do have time to go to town on it.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Man Mike you are the best!

So you guys still recommend the DA and M80 if there isn't much wrong with the paint. It is a very nice, dark glossy paint exactly like this one:

Matt

Comment

Man Mike you are the best!

So you guys still recommend the DA and M80 if there isn't much wrong with the paint.
        Meguiar's recommends,

1. Evaluate the condition of the paint
        2. Choose the right product to correct any paint defects
        3. Use good technique when applying and removing products

So no, we don't have a blanket recommendation for any product, what we suggest is you evaluate the condition of the paint and do your best to choose the right product for the job keeping this in mind,

"Use the least aggressive product to get the job done"

Also,

Do a Test Spot first, make sure your products and process of choice will make one small area look good before going over the entire car.

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I may not get my DA until early October so I will:

Clay, Quick Detail, then Gold Glass Wax it until then? I have ScratchX too, idk if I should try that or not (by hand.)
          Matt

Comment

I may not get my DA until early October so I will:

Clay, Quick Detail, then Gold Glass Wax it until then? I have ScratchX too, idk if I should try that or not (by hand.)
            As of the date of this post, August 19th, 2008, you're talking about approximately 40+ days.

If this is a daily driver, parked outside part or all of the day, then yes... apply some wax to the paint to protect it until you get your DA Polisher.

Wash
            Clay
            Clean the paint - ScratchX or Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner
            Gold Class Wax

This will not only protect the paint until your next detailing session it will also make the paint look great!

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I wash my cars every weekend, but I don't know if you guys call that a "detailing session" Thanks again.
              Matt

Comment

I wash my cars every weekend, but I don't know if you guys call that a "detailing session" Thanks again.
                I call a detailing session anything from a wash and wax to a full detail. A full detail(if needed) will consist of cleaning the paint, polishing the paint and applying a LSP(wax or Sealant).

Comment

I think any time spent on your cars appearance is a detailing session. As for the waxing, I would definitely apply some. If it is going to be over a month in getting the G110.
                  quality creates its own demand

Comment

For me, detailing starts AFTER you've washed and dried the vehicle... but that's just me. All depends what your definition of detailing is.
                    Originally posted by Blueline
                    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Wash the car
                      Clay
                      Use a cleaner wax
                      top with NXT 2.0
                      This would be my suggestion.

Comment

yeah forget the gold class go with nxt 2.0 great stuff

Comment

Originally posted by miahjohn View Post
                          yeah forget the gold class go with nxt 2.0 great stuff
                          I wish Meguiar's made Gold Class better. I think it's good, but evidently it isn't from all the comments (not necessarily here this one above isn't hard), but on other detailing forums too, GC gets beat up in comments.

Something about it has always drawn me to it, even though I normally use NXT 2.0 or something else, since I listen to what people say.

I sure like the name, packaging, and marketing approach to GC though. Something about it just pulls me in, and the smell is amazing.

Comment

I like GC just fine, I haven't used NXT 2.0. It was 20 dollars at autozone, but I went to walmart and it was 14. So I may have to pic it up.
                            Matt

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');