• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question for the pro's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for the pro's?

Well I finally got a buddy of mine to take some pics of my car, I never thought of taking pictures of close-ups of the paint. but he did manage to take a picture of my trunk what is farely close.

Me and 2hotford were discussing on here before that my car might have thin paint in some areas? he's never seen the car and I told him I would try and get him pictures.

Well here's a picture of the trunk I'll show you where I'm talking about the Paint thinning? itmight be even oxidation I have no clue? I'm assuming you pro's may know?

it's been cut by a "pro" before and he did a terrible job! so I did another cut using Perfect-It lll Rubbing Compound.

is it paint thin or is that oxidation in those spots?

Without looking to closely, and by the areas you highlighted, I would say your paint is thin. Most painters go over the edges, then the flat surfaces, so the edges usually receive a little extra coverage.

Also remember, the edges are the first places that get burn thru, when being buffed out, and the use of a rotary will definitely burn the areas you highlighted real fast.
    Arizona Corvette Enthusiasts
    08 Atomic Orange Metallic C6 LS3 Z51 4LT
    98 Torch Red Convertible * SOLD
    82 Collector Edition * SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg
      Without looking to closely, and by the areas you highlighted, I would say your paint is thin. Most painters go over the edges, then the flat surfaces, so the edges usually receive a little extra coverage.

Also remember, the edges are the first places that get burn thru, when being buffed out, and the use of a rotary will definitely burn the areas you highlighted real fast.
      I tend to agree with Desertdawg and Tim in that the paint appears to be pretty thin. Also, DD points out a very good point by stating that edges of that nature would probably be the first to 'burn through' because of poor rotary techniques or poor use of products (or a very poor paint job).

It's nearly impossible to tell from the picture though...

RP
      -The Final Detail-
      Lagrange, Kentucky
      thefinaldetail@insightbb.com
      CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY GALLERY

Comment

How can I prevent this paint from getting any thinner at all?

what kind of products should I use on it from now on?

Tim told me 20/26 product.

I also like NXT.

I want this paint job too last a few more years for me. People still compliment on it.

Comment

Originally posted by 78_Caprice
          How can I prevent this paint from getting any thinner at all?

what kind of products should I use on it from now on?

Tim told me 20/26 product.

I also like NXT.

I want this paint job too last a few more years for me. People still compliment on it.
          I think Tim's recommendation of 20/26 is very good. NXT, while it has some very very light cleaners, shouldn't be a problem either.
          -The Final Detail-
          Lagrange, Kentucky
          thefinaldetail@insightbb.com
          CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY GALLERY

Comment

I have used colorX on it before and it didn't make it worse or anything around those areas?

isn't color X a very strong cleaner?

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');