• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

outline of decals, still? (long story)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• outline of decals, still? (long story)

I'll try to make a long story short...

I'm doing a job for a municipality that acquired a sheriff's car. Obviously, before it was delivered to them, the badging/decals were (poorly) removed. Now, I have claybar'd, APC'd, claybar'd again, and then:
    M83/W7006 via ROTARY
    M80/W8006 via G100
    M66/W8006 via G100
    M26 by hand.

Now, when you run your hand over the paint, you feel nothing. Look at it in just the right light (even a halogen straight at it doesn't show up), you can still see FAINT outlines of SHERIFF. Very faint, but there nonetheless. I washed with APC at 4:1 spray to strip down to the clearcoat. Ran hand over it again, still feel NOTHING, but the outline is faintly visible.

Is there something I missed? Or does 7 years of adhesive stuck to paint really do a number on the finish?

Don't get me wrong, the village administrator is tickled at the results (he said if it looked half as good he'd have been happy), but you know how our kind is. It's not good enough unless it's perfect!

Any ideas?

Matthew 19:26

Re: Still showing faint outline of decals...

It's probably not that there is anything stuck to the paint but rather the paint is faded everywhere but under the decals. What color car? You might be able to polish and use something like NXT 2.0 to darken the rest of the paint. All in all you probably won't be able to get it perfect. Do you have any photos?
    Scott

Comment

I have some photos I can upload. it's black. (yay)

Comment

Can you tell if the paint under the decal looks darker/richer?
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Re: outline of decals, still? (long story)

Often times adhesive stickers left on paint over time leave a visual imprint in the paint that is both physical in the upper surface and sometimes below the surface due to fading of the color.

M83 with a foam cutting pad isn't out of this world aggressive, you could try a compound and see if that gives a little more improvement.

Is the finish a basecoat/clearcoat finish?

Another option would be to lightly wet-sand the area and the remove your sanding marks. If the imprint is topical then this will likely improve it and even eliminate it.

If the impression is fading of the color coat under the clear than nothing done on the surface will eliminate the problem.

Is it possible to get a picture of this paint issue?

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

p.s.

Merged your other thread with this one. No need to double post a thread.

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for the advice all. I'll post pics when I can.

Mike, I had gone to delete my post in the other forum (i realized this one was more appropriate so I put it here)...and then it was gone. Fast workers!

Comment

Waiting for the aforementioned pictures.
                Navy Blue Metallic Pearl 2002 Camaro Z28: Build in progress. (416" LS3/9" Rear End/TH400/200 Shot)
                Superior Blue Metallic 2005 Trailblazer LS: !Badges/!Molding/20% Tint/Stealth Audio in Progress

Comment

I will be finishing this detail up tonight (Read: new kid means I can't work on it every night). I'll take pictures, plenty of them!

Comment

Like said earlier the paint was faded around the decals. I don't think you can fix that problem with cleaners or wax. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');