• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

car needs some shine and sparkle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car needs some shine and sparkle

Hi guys

I just purchased a 1990 SW20 Red MR2, it's in good condition for it's age but sure it has a bit more potential. Previous owner washed it and thats about it. Guess my biggest concern isn't the stone chips or scratches but more getting some good colour and shine.

I've only ever used meguiars wash and the wetlook polish/sealant in one.

I'm happy to spend a weekend on the car and do the step by step process.

So far i'm looking at NXT Wash, Clay Bar, Scratch X, Showcar Glaze #7 and NXT 2.0 Wax and also picking up some Natural Shine for interior and Black Trim dressing and bottle of UQD to keep in the car.

I'm not sure if i'm on the right track but with the products, i've got no machines so will be application by hand. I have a mate thats a pro detailed but wouldn't mind giving it a go myself then giving it to him down the track for the summer.

Cheers

Dan

Re: car needs some shine and sparkle

good day mate!
    my experience with red paint is that is like black paint in some regard. to make your paint pop you may want to get a DA polisher and go to town with it. Call up your bro who has detailed and let him have his go at it and have him show you what he his doing. then all you gotta do is maintain it.

Comment

Assuming you are working by hand, you are on the right track.

Wash
      Clay
      Clean
      Polish
      Wax - 2 thin coats

Of course working by hand with ScratchX to remove swirls/defects on an entire car *****.... doable, but *****. Try to just ScratchX/polsih/wax a panel or two a day so you get best results all over.

What it Means to Remove a Scratch

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

How to correctly apply ScratchX to remove swirls and scratches
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

It sounds like you have a good plan of attack. Give it a go and see how it works. Good luck.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

be sure to take some before and after shots you can share with us.
          Cheers
          The Best Last Step, is the step backwards you take to admire your work!
          Originally posted by Mike Phillips
          If you use #7 on your car, you're not in good company... you're in GREAT company!

Comment

You can always replace ScratchX and get some M105.
            It removes defects faster and with less effort, but again it may not be that easy as ScratchX to get, but if you can I would go with M105 since you'll be tackling the entire car.

If you want to go with ScratchX I would suggest doing some panels at a day and not the entire car because your performance/ability to remove defects will decrease

Good luck, and post your results

Comment

I would say , before I would use Scratch X I would try Color X first then Scratch X were needed. Color X is easier. Of course if you can get some 105 that would be great. Auto Solutions has it in 12oz bottles.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

I'm pretty confident on going with NXT Wash, Clay Bar, Showcar Glaze #7 and NXT 2.0 Wax (2 thin coats)

It's just the cleaner step, Scratch X or M105 i'm not 100% sure about. The car isn't badly scratched or swirl marks and I will be doing the whole car.

I'll post some pics before and after for sure. I'm looking forward to the challenge and know it will take all weekend.

Then 3-4 months down the track i'll give it to the pro and see the difference, but half the fun is doing it yourself.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');