• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UQD on windows.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UQD on windows.....

Okay, a lot of people have tried Ultimate Quik Detailer on the windows (although not designed for windows). Well prior to leaving on our trip, I washed our Neon. I found the windows were rather hard to get clean and smeared a lot even though I thought I conquered the art of washing windows. They smeared easy and well, looked like they had some greasy residue on them. I normally use window cleaner and clean 100% terry cloths to wipe and I use a lot of towels (say one towel for front and back window and 1 towel for each side window inside and out).

I have in the past sprayed on UQD on the windows. The windows were nice and clean and very water resistant. I use it a lot.

I discovered in my experience this day that the buildup of UQD actually hampered my efforts to clean the glass. I actually had to use a harsher cleaner and a hose to "strip" the UQD off of the windows and start over. Kinda like stripping wax when you clay if you will.

I have used the same process to wash the car and have not changed the way I washed my towels. I was trying to figure out if I got something on the car or if it was the UQD. The problem was with all the windows, except the interior thus thinking the long use of UQD as the culprit.

Since then, no more problems and my glass is crystal clear (until that sprinkler came on at the hotel , now I got some work ahead of me this week, D151 testing )

FYI

If you use UQD on the windows, once in a while get that stuff off and start over. My windows are back to where they were.

That UQD is some slick stuff and as all Meguiar's stuff, a little goes a long ways

L8R

Aaron
    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Re: UQD on windows.....

Thanks for the heads up. Will avoid doing this in the future. The wax in 151 shouldn't cause the same effect should it? I would imagine the physical properties of a real wax wouldn't ever grease up like that.

Comment

Thanks for the tip!

Comment

so thats why, lol

thanks for that heads up..

Comment

Nice Aaron...I don't use it but thanks for the tip

Comment

Originally posted by VonLego View Post
            Thanks for the heads up. Will avoid doing this in the future. The wax in 151 shouldn't cause the same effect should it? I would imagine the physical properties of a real wax wouldn't ever grease up like that.
            I doubt that D151 would be a problem. I probably used the wrong analogy for the problem, how about......cleaning the old tire dressing off of tires then start new. Dirt and grime could get inbetween the layers of dressing, thus making your tires not look as good.......

Originally posted by dpardo View Post
            Thanks for the tip!

Originally posted by bookeem View Post
            so thats why, lol

thanks for that heads up..
            Did you experience the same thing???

Originally posted by yalerd View Post
            Nice Aaron...I don't use it but thanks for the tip
            It actually makes the window nice and clear. I only use it for the light dusting between washing, living in a rural area, the "light" dusting is say the overnight stuff, after that it's pretty heavy and I don't do it. The windows look good but I think overtime the UQD remains and is not very soap/water soluble(sp?) friendly, on glass that is

Comment

Its funny you posted this today. Last night I was using the uqd on the Mazda. I was going to give it a try on the glass. I then decided to use the tried and true method instead. Now I am glad I did. Thanks again for the tip. It is appreciated.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

I use M135 on my windshield, every wash I clean the windows with Zep Professional window cleaner or FK #228, once a month I use a glass polish or an AIO on the windows maybe that helps reduce the build up on the car. But the heads up is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Nappers are you using UQD on the inside or outside windows? if the outside have you noticed any waterspots or do you think it prevents waterspots from forming?

i have noticed when I chamois dry the windows the chamois barely glides over the glass and have been wondering what i could apply to the glass so the chamois glides over the glass like it does on the paint.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I have been using UQD for cleaning my windows, The glass beads up nicely. When I washed my Mach 1, I noticed It was harder to clean the glass as well, So I used eagle 20/20 glass cleaner and it took the UQD off.
                    Thanks for the tip.
                    Alex
                    1972 Dodge Dart Swinger360
                    1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551
                    1969 Ford Mustang Fastback

Comment

sure did Nappers, and it didnt dawn on me that the UQD be could be the problem..

i use it all the time on my car and windows, and find them smudged and streaked with a film left on the glass after trying to clean them with glass cleaner, i went through several towels on 1 window one day wondering why it was so hard to get streak free..

your conclisin makes sense as to why i had tHat problem, being i use UQD often..

Comment

Originally posted by miahjohn View Post
                        Nappers are you using UQD on the inside or outside windows? if the outside have you noticed any waterspots or do you think it prevents waterspots from forming?

i have noticed when I chamois dry the windows the chamois barely glides over the glass and have been wondering what i could apply to the glass so the chamois glides over the glass like it does on the paint.
                        I just use on the outside windows. The windows hardly spot if at all.

Originally posted by 03mach1 View Post
                        Thanks for the tip. I have been using UQD for cleaning my windows, The glass beads up nicely. When I washed my Mach 1, I noticed It was harder to clean the glass as well, So I used eagle 20/20 glass cleaner and it took the UQD off.
                        Thanks for the tip.
                        I use E1 20/20 and it didn't budge it. I ended up using the E1 all wheel/tire cleaner (my only 2 non Meg's stuff) just on the windows and it stripped it pretty good, stripped the dressing on the trim! So, I had to redress my trim. FWIW, wheel cleaners will remove wax, I got some overspray (windy day) on the Neon and where I hosed it off, no more beading.

Originally posted by bookeem View Post
                        sure did Nappers, and it didnt dawn on me that the UQD be could be the problem..

i use it all the time on my car and windows, and find them smudged and streaked with a film left on the glass after trying to clean them with glass cleaner, i went through several towels on 1 window one day wondering why it was so hard to get streak free..

your conclisin makes sense as to why i had tHat problem, being i use UQD often..
                        I too went through so many towels, must have gotten the UQD on the towel and contaminated it when using the window cleaner.

The windows sure looked good, but may use UQD for it's intent, the paint

Glad I could help.

Comment

I have not used UQD on my glass but I have used other products such as wax and sealants to make the glass sparkle on my show car.

When I do a conventional wash with hose and bucket I use Bon-Ami on the glass it will remove anything on the glass and leave it really clean.

Using the Bon-Ami makes a mess only use it when you are going to wash the vehicle so you can hose it off.
                          This will out clean glass cleaner by a country mile.
                          Black Bart

Comment

I haven't tried this yet. I tried using Final Inspection and Quik Detailer on my glass, but it streaks. I am not sure about UQD, since that it is slicker product than ones mentioned.

Comment

I use UQD on my glass in between good cleanings with Nxt Glass Cleaner + RainX, but I dont expect it to be perfect when I do.
                              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');