• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing Holograms out of new paint job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Holograms out of new paint job?

I just had my hood and bumper painted, but the body shop left a TON of holograms! Seeing as ScratchX removes some paint, and I need to apply wax after, how long should I wait before using the product? Also, how hard do I need to apply the pad, and how long will a hood roughly take me so I know I'm not speeding through it? Thanks!

Re: How To Remove Swirls By Hand

Originally posted by DiZzyBonne View Post
    I just had my hood and bumper painted, but the body shop left a TON of holograms!
    The first thing you should do is to take your car back and ask for your money back. Why should you have to fix their mistake?

If you don't trust them to do the job right the second time, and history has shown this to be the case, then get yourself a quart of M105 and some foam applicator pads and rub the affected areas out by working small sections at a time till the results meet your expectations.

Then wait for about 30 days and then apply some wax.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: Removing Holograms out of new paint job?

i had the same problem. i got in an accident (100% other guys fault....rear ended me) in june and this sunday i will be going to my first car show with the mustang. when i got the car back from the body shop the panels that were painted had some killer swirls and holograms. seeing has how i HATE anyone touching my car i decided to wait and fix the problem myself.

i bought some D151 and some new W9006 pads online and got to work. this was my first time using the 151 (with my porter cable DA) and let me tell u.......this stuff is AWESOME! i always stand by the classic #83 and #80 followed by some NXT 2.0 but 151 really does cut the process in half! the swirls vanished 100% and any other defects i might have caused over the past few months are GONE.

i highly recommend picking up a gallon of D151 and some pads and going to work. its not as hard as u think and the results are just fantastic. ill get some pics up when the car is all finished since it is raining outside and im not quite done yet. will def post pics of the car show sunday (if it doesnt rain) as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
        The first thing you should do is to take your car back and ask for your money back. Why should you have to fix their mistake?

If you don't trust them to do the job right the second time, and history has shown this to be the case, then get yourself a quart of M105 and some foam applicator pads and rub the affected areas out by working small sections at a time till the results meet your expectations.

Then wait for about 30 days and then apply some wax.

M105 over ScratchX? Also, are you saying I should apply it right now, then wait 30 days and wax it, or should I wait for the paint to fully cure, then apply M105, then wait 30 days and finally wax it? Thanks!

Comment

M105 over ScratchX?
          M105 is more effective by hand for removing below surface defects, (whatever they are), so yes M105 is a faster and more effective product to use by hand to remove holograms. You can use ScratchX if you like it will take you longer and more passion behind the pad and more applications.

Also, are you saying I should apply it right now, then wait 30 days and wax it,
          Yes. It's your choice but fresh paint is easier to work defects out of when it's still fresh not after it's fully hardened. You can wait if you want but the longer you wait the more difficult it will be to remove the holograms because the paint will reach full cure, or full hardness and then removing small particles of it will be more difficult. Up to you though...

or should I wait for the paint to fully cure, then apply M105, then wait 30 days and finally wax it? Thanks!
          See above for first part of this question, see below for answer to the second part of this question...

What it means to remove a scratch out of anything...

IN most cases, a painter will tell you to wait at least 30 days before sealing the paint with a wax or paint sealant, that doesn't include products like M105, as it's a "Body Shop Product" safe for fresh paint. Keep in mind painters don't wait for 30 days to work on fresh paint, (they didn't on your car when they swirled it out), so there must be products that are for working on fresh paint?

Also, to get up to speed with the detailing process in general, take a moment to read and soak this in,

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

Here's another one for you...

What it means to remove a scratch out of anything...

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: Removing Holograms out of new paint job?

The only reason I'd rather use ScratchX is because I was reading your post comparing the two, and you said ScratchX is less aggressive. This will be my first time venturing into the world of car detailing, so I want as little room for human error as possible. With that being said, is ScratchX also a "Body Shop Product" safe, just as safe as M105? Thanks once again Mike!

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');