• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new paint job...need to buff and look new

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new paint job...need to buff and look new

hello everyone,

I am new and need advice. I painted (2 coats for both) and clear coated my old car that i am restoring. I have hand wet sanded it with a 1500. Now it looks semi dull and scratches but not to deep....So what is the best way to go about the polishinng so i get get a good looking finish...will m105 be my first approach...I will be getting a variable speed polisher...any suggestions as what brand is better....all input will be much appreciated

Re: new paint job...need to buff and look new

You generally need a rotary buffer to remove wet sanding marks. Sorry. Do you have any experience with a rotary? If not I would suggest taking it to a professional.

Andy
    Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
    Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Re: new paint job...need to buff and look new

Me? I'd sand again with 2000, and 4000 grit, via pneumatic orbital sander. Then 105 (via rotery w/ yellow pad) is a logical option, with very good light. You may be able to finish with #82 Swirl remover w/ finishing pad and random orbital polisher.

I'll emphasize that the learning curve is quite substantial. It is not rocket science, but it does require a great deal of finesse with the different machines.

Race drivers call it seat time. Finish one panel to your satisfaction before tackling the entire car.

Additionally, 2 coats of clear may be good, but it does not mean that you have twice as much to work with. Only the top third of the final, cured, coat has the density required for adequate UV protection and optical clarity. Do not remove more than .3 mil!

It is a messy, time consuming job. Have fun!

Me? I'd probably spend 18 hours, you should expect many more...

Jim
      If it was easy, everybody'd be doing it!

www.jimmybuffit.com

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');