• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what are the best procedures to wash a car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TOGWT,
    why the specification of warm water over hot water?
    2019 GMC Sierra
    1500 AT4

Comment

Quote: TOGWT, why the specification of warm water over hot water?

~One man’s opinion / observations~

Because I don’t like getting my hands cold…LOL

Heated water breaks down water-soluble soiling faster, as it reduces overall chemical usage because it reduces the surface tension of the fibre. Heat acts as a catalyst promoting quicker reactions between chemicals and the soil.

PS: I should better qualify 'heated water' as warm water (120oF)

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
      justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon
      ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by TOGWT

Because I don’t like getting my hands cold…LOL

thanks!
        2019 GMC Sierra
        1500 AT4

Comment

Here are a few steps you can take in order to safely wash, get good results and minimize scratching.

It is a good idea to wash the vehicle out of the direct midday sunshine. Use two washing mitts. One to wash the upper, cleaner areas of the vehicle and the other to wash the lower side panels and the wheels. Place about a teaspoon of your favorite car wash soap on each of the mitts and place them in a pail along with a nylon scrub brush. Fill pail about half way full with water, using the spray nozzle, to create suds.

Apply a white wall cleaner to the sidewalls of all tires and let stand for a few minutes. This includes white walls or white lettered tires and black wall tires too. Rinse tires thoroughly.

Wet the entire car from top to bottom. Use one mitt to gently wash top, hood and rear deck of the vehicle and then rinse. Proceed to wash sides and front and rear areas. Do not press or rub to aggressively on the surface of the vehicle during the wash process. Always wash the lower side sections last, as these areas contain the most road dirt, such as small particles of sand and grit. Sometimes you will need to go over the front bumper, grill, headlights and all vinyl trim a second time just to make sure everything is completely clean. Always rinse each section thoroughly after washing. Remove the first wash mitt from the pail and rinse thoroughly. Ring out to dry. Use the other mitt to wash lower side panels of the vehicle. Dry the vehicle using either a soft clean towel or a synthetic chamois, such as the Absorber.

Before washing the wheels make sure that they are completely cool. Washing wheels that are relatively hot could cause the wheel coatings to become stained. Use the same mitt that you used for the lower side panels to wash the wheels. And add a bit more soap if necessary in order to cut through excessive brake dust. You may need to use specialty detail brushes to completely clean the wheels. Always apply soaps and wheel cleaners directly to the mitt and brushes. Never spray the wheels directly. It is always better to wash and rinse and then wash and rinse again to catch any dirty areas missed.

To clean the sidewalls of the tire, apply soap directly onto a nylon scrub brush. Wet tire and begin to scrub the tires. Always rinse and repeat. Remember, it is just as important to also scrub black side wall tires too. This will remove road dirt and brake dust, and produce a better shine when the tire treatment is applied. This is a good time to scrub wheel wells using specialty detailing brushes with plenty of soap. Rinse tires, wheels and wheel wells thoroughly after washing. Remove wash mitt and brush from the pail and thoroughly rinse. Towel dry wheels to keep from spotting.
          FRANK CANNA
          Mirror Finish Detailing
          23rd Year 1986-2009

Comment

Originally posted by mirrorfinishman
            Here are a few steps you can take in order to safely wash, get good results and minimize scratching.

It is a good idea to wash the vehicle out of the direct midday sunshine.
            I thought this is not recommended? If I do this, the sun dries the car faster than I do and creates water spots. Not to mention the extremely hot surface.
            2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

I recently got a foam gun to complete the extreme washing regimen . In a pinch it also could replace a bucket.
              my product collection-- New !
              My Detailing Credo
              Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Bri
                I thought this is not recommended? If I do this, the sun dries the car faster than I do and creates water spots. Not to mention the extremely hot surface.
                It says " out of the midday sun"
                George G.
                ----------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');