• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with scratches in my finish...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with scratches in my finish...

So I've done something incredibly stupid with my new car. Not being familiar with detailing and trying to keep my baby pristene, I tried to get off some bird droppings with the wrong side of a kitchen sponge (yes, the scrubbing side). Obviously it's left a series of scratches in the finish and I don't know what to do to get them out.

They do not seem that deep and when I run my fingers across them, they feel rough more than textured (if that make sense). I first tried to buff them out using Gold Class Liquid Wax hoping that I could just shine them away (didn't work). I've also tried a few applications of Scratch X and it doesn't seem to have made much of a difference.

I took some pictures but it's tricky to see the dullness unless the light catches it just right:

Photobucket

Photobucket

I'm not sure what to do next. Is Scratch X the right product to use here or do I need something different. This is not a single scratch but a series of lines. Also, I don't know if this makes a difference but this is one of the new Infiniti's that is supposed to have a self-healing clearcoat (not too effective on this unfortunately).

Any thoughts or advice from the guru's would be appreciated!

Re: Help with scratches in my finish...

What it Means to Remove a Scratch

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

How to correctly apply ScratchX to remove swirls and scratches

Give these a read first. Make sure you are using ScratchX properly since you already have it. I would get a little M105 if still having trouble.

What have you been using to apply ScratchX?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Read those threads Murr supplied for you. Once you get the hang of it with the proper technique scratch-x is a great product. I would try applying it with a foam applicator first. Then if you needed to step up to a more aggressive applicator try using a terry cloth towel. Sorry to hear about your mishap. good luck.
      quality creates its own demand

Comment

Thanks guys. I've been using a microfiber applicator (with a hook and loop handle). I've done about 6 passes in total so far (three last week and three yesterday) but still can't get rid of the cloudiness caused by the abrasions I made.

Does that mean I need to think about a polisher next? At what point do I decide to enlist a professional?

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');