• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pine tree sap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pine tree sap

Failed misreably today. Had a job on two cars that are parked under a pine tree. Nothing worked. I destoyed a clay bar and had a hard time getting the stuff to budge. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Re: pine tree sap

Have pics? You 100% sure that is what you were dealing with?

Are they tiny dots, or big chunks?

Sometimes you have to break down and chip away at them with your fingernail- eek, I know, but from time to time it's the best and least abrasive method. OLD sap tends to **** away in a dry form...almost to a crumble with this method.

I have also used the Meguiar's Solvent from the Detailer Line and let it pre-soak on them, and it seems to make them break apart easier after that. Of course, you run the risk of minor marring on the paint with your fingernail, so be prepared to do some light polishing afterward.

Comment

I deal with this all the time, I'm surrounded by huge white pines, very messy trees. Goo-Gone works pretty well. If the sap is fairly fresh, it will almost wipe right off. If it has set for awhile, soak a paper towel with the Goo and let it sit on the sap for 10 minutes, then wipe. In a pinch, WD-40 will work too. In both cases, make sure you wash it off well afetrwards and wax the area right away.

Comment

Rubbing alcohol takes pine tree sap off, but don't forget to re-LSP afterwards.
        Heatgain (Gary)
        The Irate Magistrate
        Neutral & Detached

Comment

Rain-x also works really well at removing the sap spots. Fold a towel into fourths and soak with rain-x place it on top of the sap for a few minutes then wipe clean. Wash and re-lsp the area.

Andrew
          2013 Race Red F-150 SCREW

Comment

Thank you all for your advice. The stuff was all over the surface and the windows, some looked like the stuff was running down the side of the car. I will go at it again next week. BTW, it was really soft so must have been a recent fallout.

Thanks again.

Comment

3M Adhesive Remover. Spray on, wipe off.
              If its fast, loud, and runs on a flammable liquid...count me in.

Comment

Originally posted by Heatgain View Post
                Rubbing alcohol takes pine tree sap off, but don't forget to re-LSP afterwards.
                I agree. IPA has always worked for me too.
                Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by Jokeman View Post
                  3M Adhesive Remover. Spray on, wipe off.
                  That is what I used on my last customer's grease spots and they came right off.
                  Navy Blue Metallic Pearl 2002 Camaro Z28: Build in progress. (416" LS3/9" Rear End/TH400/200 Shot)
                  Superior Blue Metallic 2005 Trailblazer LS: !Badges/!Molding/20% Tint/Stealth Audio in Progress

Comment

Moved out of Frequently Asked Questions and into Detailing 101

Please don't post new threads into any forum group in the Information Staton...

Thank you!

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');