• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Haze effect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Haze effect

Ok Trying to rethink this

Maybe it is haze burn marks.

They are almost holographic.

buff marks , but they look greasy

Any thoughts

Comment

Wipe a section with 50/50 mix of clear rubbing alcohol and distilled water. That will tell you if its oils or if its holigram micromarring.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Toys View Post
        Tried this , It looks perfect in the sun till you put on the wax
        Ok so everything looks good in the sun before waxing, correct? Then I would have to agree that it is the wax. Are you waiting long enough for the wax to dry before removing it? How about trying a different wax like M26 or even Gold Class wax?

I feel your pain about detailing a truck that size, you definitely don't want to do it more than once.

Comment

Tried something a bit different today.

Tried cleaning some of the ovoius spots on the Dakota.

Used scratch X and a applicator by hand. Lightly rubbing it on , Cleaned it looks great.

The did a little on the F350, Bumper and Hood. all by hand this time

used Scratch x on the bumper

Cleaned up great. But......
          I think I found what the problem is.

I tried to Polish it by hand with #9 did not let it dry. Wiped and polished it off.

Put some wax on it .

And darn back comes that hazy holographic look.

Comment

I guess I need to see and under stand more what micro maring and holgrams really mean.

If you did not read this post , what would you call this.

It shows up in the picture right under the door handle on the left. above the little dent

( im going out to try the wax cleaner removal test next)

Comment

Ok ---
              Used grease and wax remover.

Look at below the handle.

Before --

After --

Comment

Holly ****.

What did i do wrong.

Comment

I think I found what the problem is.

I tried to Polish it by hand with #9 did not let it dry. Wiped and polished it off.
                  You are not doing anything wrong.
                  M09 is meant to be worked and remove immediately, you don't need to wait for it to dry.

If the problem comes when you are waxing and you don't notice this before then could you take some picture to see how thick / thin you are applying the wax?

I guess this could be the problem since you said that you did the swipe test and you notice the it was OK to remove.

Comment

Marine Toys, have you figured out what is causing the hazing? I know when I used M09, I applied it using the DA with a finishing pad worked it in good and then removed. However it still left a hazy look on the paint. I think this was because I used too much product which made it difficult to remove. Is it possible you are using too much product? You only need to put down a very thin layer when waxing.

I found out on my truck that M80 with a polishing pad was causing marring on the paint and after about a week of trying different products, I found out that M80 on a finishing pad was the best thing to remove the marring. I applied lite pressure and I made sure to work the product long enough to break down the abrasives. I work in sections about 2'x2' and made about 4 passes up and down and 4 passes side to side until the polish was almost clear. It took more time then you would think to break this stuff down. Scratch X on a finishing pad also worked well using the same process. I think the most important thing is to work the product long enough, and if you apply too much product you will have to work it longer. You can check out this post about my problem:
                    General Auto Detailing Discussion. Participate in existing discussion or start a new thread with your question.

Here are some pictures of my F350 and the Harley F250 I did for friend. The harley I washed, clayed, M105 some bad spots, M80, M21, M26.
                    My F350 I washed, clayed, M80 on a finishing pad, and M26.

Harley

My truck

Comment

Ok ---
                      Used grease and wax remover.

Look at below the handle.

Before --

After --

Try some mineral spirits, apply some to a micro-fiber towel and rub over it a time or two but don't apply to much pressure, work it in like you were applying a wax. If that works wash and then apply some wax or a detail.
                      ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
                      You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
                      Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

Thanks Guys , I havent done the F350 yet , I was waiting for Blackford to do his

Im going to try what he has suggested.

The Dakota well , Im just going to have to redo it.

Ill keep reading though , great advise

Thanks to everyone that posted.

Weather starting to turn here in Vancouver so I hope I can get at it this weekend
                        Ill keep you posted

Comment

BlackFord , you put Wax over the Sealant, I thought the sealant was to be used as a wax ??
                          Did I miss some thing here

Mike ?
                          #21 = Synthetic Sealant - (Professional Line)
                          #26 = Hi-Tech Yellow Wax - (Professional Line)

Comment

You can use the #21 alone as a sealant or you can top it with #26 for a deeper darker look. The #26 can be used alone as well.

As for the hazing, it looks like micro marring from the microfiber to me. I had the same problem with my dad's F150 (metallic Gunmetal). The only microfiber that didn't leave tiny scratches behind was Meg's Ultimate Wipe. Even then I had to use a light touch.

HTH
                            Life isn't about 'weathering the storm', it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Good to know
                              Thank-you

Comment

See it's hard for me to tell from the photos what exactly is going on with the Dakota. But to me it looks like it needs some exact work to remove the hazing or scratches. If you have M105 try that and see if that removes the defects. Then try M80 of the area and see what happens.

As for the Harley if you follow what I did you should have good results. I would stop and check the paint in the sun after everystep to make sure everything is going good. Plus if you do run into a problem you will know what product is causing it. Don't use too much product, especially with the wax. I put it on very thin, because you don't need much.

And yes I do use #21 and #26 when I have time. If anything it is added protection for my paint. Other times I use one or the other and don't really see much of a difference. Or you could apply two coats of the same product also for added protection. Good luck with your truck and let us know how you make out and if you are still having a problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');