• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not-So-Good Results with First-Time G110 Polishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not-So-Good Results with First-Time G110 Polishing

Today I finally had the time and all the products I needed to try out my G110 for the first time. I decided to only concentrate on the hood of my 2 month old black TCH in order to get some G110 practice and experience.

I washed, clayed, and masked in preparation. I set the G110 to 5 and applied some M80 to a new 8006 pad and went to work on a 2 ft area. I don't know if this is normal with a new pad or not, but right off the bat the polishing created a lot of dust where I was polishing?

I tried to follow the technique Mike showed us in the detailing class and went slow with overlapping passes. Some of the scratches came out and some didn't. I wasn't satisfied with the results. I went over the whole hood 3 times and spent at least an hour working the M80 before switching pads and Finishing with 2 coats of M26.

Questions:

What was causing the dust?
    Was the dust reintroducing new swirls into the paint?
    Do I need to try M83 on the paint to get rid of all the scratches or work on my technique more?
    Which scratches easier, hard or soft clear coat?

I just went out in the garage again and shined the dual xenon light on the hood. The xenon light definitly does not compliment the black paint on my Camry. But after todays polishing, I probably got rid of 60 % of swirls and scratches. I rubbed my index finger on the hood because it has a filmy look to it with the xenon light and I left scratches!! I UQD the hood and they are still there. I'll have to polish them out.

I have a whole new respect for you guys that can remove all the defects from your paint.

Thank you,

Mike
    Why do we drive on a Parkway, and park on a Driveway

George Carlin

Re: Not-So-Good Results with First-Time G110 Polishing

Hey Mike,

Well I remember back at the open garage you had that weird film on your car that was removed with I think Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner on one side and I think Cleaner Wax on the other side, is that correct?

The scratches that didn't come out, are they kind of random, deeper scratches or still look like swirls under the lights?

Dust - just some of the foam in the pad, happens to all new pads. You can lightly mist some QD on the pad, just one quick mist, not a direct spray to keep the dust down.

The dust was most likely not introducing new swirls, I've never encountered that before.

You might need to step up to M83 to get some of the deep scratches out.

Maybe come back to one of the remaining open garages and I'm sure who ever is there would be glad to dial down a process with you.

Ryan
    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

M80 is very mild... jump up to M83 for any correction and then follow up with M80.
      Dans Tech Reviews | Wii Shopper

Comment

Come to this Thursday's "Open Garage" and show us what you're doing and we'll see if we can tweak your technique...

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by lilblkblt04 View Post
          Hey Mike,

Well I remember back at the open garage you had that weird film on your car that was removed with I think Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner on one side and I think Cleaner Wax on the other side, is that correct?
          Yes that was me. I still have some of that film showing up.

The scratches that didn't come out, are they kind of random, deeper scratches or still look like swirls under the lights?
          They are random.

Dust - just some of the foam in the pad, happens to all new pads. You can lightly mist some QD on the pad, just one quick mist, not a direct spray to keep the dust down.
          Now that you mention it I remember Mike doing that at the detail class.

The dust was most likely not introducing new swirls, I've never encountered that before.
          Good to hear.

You might need to step up to M83 to get some of the deep scratches out.

Maybe come back to one of the remaining open garages and I'm sure who ever is there would be glad to dial down a process with you.
          Sounds like a plan.

Ryan
          Hi Ryan,

Yes that was me. I still have some of that film showing up.

George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by danponjican View Post
            M80 is very mild... jump up to M83 for any correction and then follow up with M80.
            M83 Will probably be my next purchase.

George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
              Come to this Thursday's "Open Garage" and show us what you're doing and we'll see if we can tweak your technique...

Thanks Mike. I would really appreciate that.

Should I bring my own G110?

Mike

George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Mikejl View Post
                Thanks Mike. I would really appreciate that.

Should I bring my own G110?

Mike
                Sure! The more the merrier....

See you Thursday, come a little early if you like I'll have the garage doors open about 4:30pm

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Early it is.

George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                  X