• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proper terms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper terms

What are the proper terms for this photo?

Re: Proper terms

Sounds resonable... the terms spiderweb/cobweb could be used as well.

In between your swirl and haze though, there could be some holograms as well.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

The one marked haze looks like normal swirls to me.

I see "finger marks" in the paint, finger-marks are the small round spots that are hazy, they are caused by the pressure of your fingertips against your applicator pad working some kind of abrasive product, they are usually inflicted when your hand stops in it's motion to reverse directions when rubbing the product.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

From Hot Topics

Cobweb Swirls vs Rotary Buffer Swirls
        Below is an explanation between the difference between random swirls and scratches that show up in what is commonly referred to as Cobweb Swirls as compared to Rotary Buffer Swirls.

Cobweb Scratches or Cobweb Swirls
        Actually, the term cobweb swirls or spiderweb swirls comes from the fact that when you look at the paint in such a way as to place the reflection of the sun or another source of bright light so that it's on a painted panel, you'll see what looks like swirls and scratches forming in a circular pattern around the point of light.

Now if you move around a little bit so as to move the point of light around on the panel you'll see what looks as though the cobweb swirls are following the point of light. The cobweb swirls are not actually following the point of light what's really happening is that the entire finish is so filled with random scratches that wherever you place the point of light you'll see the circular or cobweb pattern show up because the random scratches will reflect the light back towards the center of this point of light. So as you move the point of light around on a painted panel it looks as though the cobweb swirls are following the point of light.

Does that make sense?

The scratches are not specifically circle scratches, they could be a all straight-line scratches but the effect is they look circular because the point of light is circular and the light hitting the hundreds of thousands of scratches are all reflecting back to the center of the point of light making it look as though the scratches are all circular when that's not the case.

Buffer swirls or Buffer Trails or Holograms
        Swirls instilled through the use and mis-use of a rotary buffer will tend to show up in a pattern that reflect the direction the rotary buffer was moved over the surface.

Rotary Buffer Instilled Swirls

Hope this helps to explain the difference.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Possible fingermarks circled

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Something posted about fingermarks here,

Fingermarks

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Cool! I just learned something new.

Never knew what fingermarks where. I've seen them before just never knew what caused them or that they had a name.
              Scott

Comment

Originally posted by BlueZero View Post
                Cool! I just learned something new.

Never knew what fingermarks where. I've seen them before just never knew what caused them or that they had a name.
                Somewhere I have an awesome picture of fingermarks, just need to remember to upload it next time I stumble over it looking for images.

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

It wasnt my picture but thanks very much for all the info , just trying to get a idea of things to look for when I screw mine up Like i have. But man there is a lot of great info on this forum, It has taken me 3 days to read so far and a lot more to go

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK !!!

Comment

What is a hologram? Is one present in any of the above photos? TIA.

Al
                    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                    --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
                      What is a hologram? Is one present in any of the above photos? TIA.

Al
                      These are holograms...

Holograms, Buffer Swirls, Buffer Trails all refer to the same type of swirl, that is a swirl or series of swirls instilled by a rotary buffer.

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks! I figured out that "buffer swirls" and "cobwebs" referred to the same phenomenon, but I was beginning to think that the figure that looks back at me when I look at my hood might be a hologram. Very scary.
                        Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                        --Al Kimel

Comment

Holograms usually follow a pattern. I edited Mikes picture a little bit to help.

Basically, it looks like a bunch of faint lines that can be seen at certain angles.

Most of the time, it's caused by using a wool pad with an aggressive compound. When buffing, it's important to keep the pad flat, or you may inflict holograms. In other cases, the product may not be totally broken down. Some paints are more prone to them than others - extreme hard or extremely soft.

In the past, I've always had good luck removing holograms with the PC and a polishing pad.
                          Chris
                          Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post

Thanks! I figured out that "buffer swirls" and "cobwebs" referred to the same phenomenon,
                            That's incorrect.

Buffer swirls are caused by a rotary buffer.

Cobweb-effect is caused by random wear & tear to the paint, cobweb swirls are random scratches instilled throughout the finish so that when the sun shines anywhere on the paint you see what looks like circular scratches surrounding the point of light. The scratches are not necessarily in a circle, they just look like that due to how they are reflecting light back to the source of the light.

This thread in our Hot Topics forum explains it in detail....

Cobweb Swirls vs Rotary Buffer Swirls

Actually, the term cobweb swirls or spiderweb swirls comes from the fact that when you look at the paint in such a way as to place the reflection of the sun or another source of bright light so that it's on a painted panel, you'll see what looks like swirls and scratches forming in a circular pattern around the point of light.

Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks for the correction.
                              --Al Kimel

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');