• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does m105 need something on top?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does m105 need something on top?

Hi, newbie question here..

I plan on doing this process, does this sound right or am i missing anything?

1. wash
    2. clay
    3. polish with m105 all panels
    4. wax with 2.0 or gold class

sound right? is it safe to use m105 whenever the paint is full of swirls etc. Car is 3 years old and has minor swirls. I already ordered m105 since i read all the raves on it.

thanks in advance...hope this is right.

Re: does m105 need something on top?

Hello,

Seeing as this is your first post on MOL, Welcome aboard!

Before you get started read through some of these.

List O' Links 2.0

Your process is OK but I wouldn't recommend starting off with M105 Ultra Cut Compound. We always preach to use the least aggressive method first. Depending on how bad your swirls are you may not need something as strong as M105. The description of M105 from Meguiars is this:
    FEATURES: • Ultra-fast cutting removes 1200 grit or finer sanding marks • Super-micro abrasives leave best in class finish • Also great for removing scratches, defects, acid rain and severe swirls/holograms
    You may be able to start off with something less aggressive like ScratchX, M80, or M83.

Andy
    Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
    Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Hey ap

Yes! M105 is a compound,it will remove 1200 grit sanding scratches And if finished properly you can go straight to your lsp.

What is your process for applying M105?

Have you read any of the post on or about M105 ultra cut compound?
      ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
      You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
      Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

Hello...ive been reading posts for the pasts few weeks. By some posts it seems the m105 would be perfect by others it seems it maybe too strong. So it leaves me a little confused, but also i went ahead and purchased the m105 because i didn't want to 'waste' money on the lesser effective products

I was planing on applying the m105 by hand with a foam pad, work it in as needed. Wipe down the car with microfiber towel. And then apply some gold class on top with a buffer. I have one of those cheesy 10inch buffers, which i just use for applying wax on and off.

I guess if i dont need anything else between the m105 and before wax i should be ok right?

Let me know what your thoughts are.

Comment

You will be OK using the M105. And yes you have to wax afterwards. Do you have any pictures of the swirls you are trying to remove that you can post?

Andy
          Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
          Andy M. Moderator

Comment

I can go take some if youd like. The car still needs to be washed so it maybe a little hard to see. I will be back with some pics

Comment

ok that didnt work very...car is too dirty to see anything..sorry

Comment

Hey ap

It's always best to start with the least aggressive products first and if the product don't give you the results your after or wanted then step up in to a more aggressive product.

ScratchX is a great cleaner that can remove some pretty good swirls and some light scratches, and the best part is it's pretty affordable at around $8.00 a tube and one can purchase it just about anywhere. And it's what I would start off with.

First do a test spot (an area about 16"X16" or so) use a piece of blue or green painters tape (you can find all kinds of post on here to show you how to do a test spot) and use a 4" foam applicator pad and pour out about a quarter size of scratchX on the end of the applicator and start rubbing all around the area that your have maped out, start working the scratchX in with about 15 lbs of pressure in a back and forth motion and when you see a much of your product at the end of your throw go up and bring back down so as to keeping all of your fresh product working in until the diminishing abrasives and chemical cleaners break down (turns somewhat clear) and remove with a micro-fiber towel. Inspect and if results not satisfied apply another coat, could take up two 3 applications. Just remember though that if a product don't yield results that your after it doesn't mean that the product don't work because every paint type is different and what works on one don't mean it will work on another paint type, and it's better to use the least aggressive product because you can always move up to a more aggressive product to take off a little more paint but if you use to an aggressive product and remove to much you take away your paints UV protection and you can't add paint back as easy as using a more aggressive cleaner or a cleaner/polish. Also get the tube for use with machine and you can even use it with your 10" orbital buffer just make sure when you go get a tube of scratchX also pick up a couple of the foam bonnets to use just with and for the claening step( your scratchX & if you use another cleaner like deep cyrstal step1 paint cleaner get a couple more bonnets to use for that product as well) you can remove some pretty good swirls and some light scratches if your paint or clear coat is soft. Have some photos I can post up and do a write-up for you if you think It will help you better just let me know?

Make since?

Hope that helps

Comment

thanks..makes sense. Actually wish i ordered the small bottle of m105 now and tried something less aggressive to. Thanks for the help.

Comment

You can pick up ScratchX at pretty much any automotive parts chain store, Pep Boys, Autozone, etc.

Andy
                    Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by ap390 View Post
                      ok that didnt work very...car is too dirty to see anything..sorry
                      To help take pictures of your paint to show the true condition and all the swirls, scratches, blemishes and defects. If you've got a garage shut the door and turn off the lights and make as dark as possible and use a bright light (I use a brinkman dual xenon) and hold above your camara aimed at the swirls or area your trying to capture and then take the pictures (try with the flash on and with the flash off to see which one captures what your trying to show or explain) And like wise at night if your outside.

Hope that helps.

Comment

You have to keep things in perspective.... #105 by hand is more efficent than ScratchX, but that doesnt mean 2 applications will tear through your clear coat.

It is still being applied by hand.... there is only so much you can do, and it isnt the old 'rocks in a bottle' style of product, so it is not like you are dragging sand paper across the car either.

You are still in the safe and mild range. If you are concerned, pick a test spot, and just use a mild applicator like foam or MF and do not work the product as agressively into the paint at first.
                        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');