• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PC and foam pad questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC and foam pad questions

So much information....

hi guys. I'm beginning to get overloaded with information to the point I'm almost confusing myself. I have a few questions that i'd like to ask.

1) I have a 10 in. Craftsman Random Orbital buffer that I've alwaysed used a terry cloth bonnet to remove wax and recently to appy and remove polish. I see that the PC comes with the foam pads. Are these used to just appy the product or can you remove and buff with the foam pas as well. It seems like it's too coarse and may scratch the surface. But I'm still learning so I could be wrong.

2) Is there any benefit to using the foam pad vs. terry cloth bonnet?

3) After doing some comparison shopping with the PC 7424, some places advertise as Dual Action and others Random Orbital. Does both terms mean the same thing?
    George G.
    ----------------------------------

Quote: So much information....

hi guys. I'm beginning to get overloaded with information to the point I'm almost confusing myself. I have a few questions that i'd like to ask.

~One man’s opinion / observations~

I'll try to keep the information as short as possible (not one of my strong points)

Q:I have a 10 in. Craftsman Random Orbital buffer that I've always used a terry cloth bonnet to remove wax and recently to apply and remove polish. I see that the PC comes with the foam pads. Are these used to just apply the product or can you remove and buff with the foam pas as well. It seems like it's too coarse and may scratch the surface. But I'm still learning so I could be wrong.
    A: The abrading ability of any polish can be changed by their application method (i.e. machine or hand application, speed and / or pressure used, using it wet or dry and / or type of foam composition (different foam compositions and / or densities have a differing abrading ability)
    Dependant upon the product and user preference you can both apply and remove products with an appropriate foam pad

Q: Is there any benefit to using the foam pad vs. terry cloth bonnet?
    A: A tery cloth pad (because of its composition) is usually more abrasive than foam (especially if loaded with dried product) So sometimes there is an advantage to using terry if you need more abrasion.

Q: After doing some comparison shopping with the PC 7424, some places advertise as Dual Action and others Random Orbital. Does both terms mean the same thing?
    A: Yes (you see sometimes I can keep the answer short LOL)

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
    justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon
    ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

Yes it does, especially on the last one. I was beating myself up trying to find the movement pattern for a dual action. lol thanks again. I didn't know the terry can be more abrasive though.
      George G.
      ----------------------------------

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');