• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When C-2000 isn't enough...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When C-2000 isn't enough...

My Neon has some serious amounts of paint contaminants. Quik Clay gets some embedded dirt off of the paint (clay turns dark brown), but still does not leave the paint smooth at all. I am going to be getting some C-2000 clay and give that a shot. The thing is, what I need the mild clay for right now is nothing compared to some other spots on the car. If I had to get some aggressive clay, is it guaranteed that the aggressive clay will mar the paint? If so, will a couple of passes with M83 on the G100 take care of it? This may be the only option I have to completely clean the paint, and just want to know the possible outcome of what I may have to get myself into.

If I have to go the aggressive route, does anyone know what the differences are between the C-2100 Aggressive Clay and the Professional Heavy Cut Purple Clay over at ADS? Name brand vs. non-name brand?

Re: When C-2000 isn't enough...

Hey tyler, The heavy cut purple clay, we use that at my car wash and it does marr the finish. I used it a couple of times at my work and noticed my self it is agressive. I think I am using the same brand at my work.
    Alex
    1972 Dodge Dart Swinger360
    1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551
    1969 Ford Mustang Fastback

Comment

Whatever marring clay will add should be very easily removed with a DA- I would think even #80 would do the trick no problem. Of course, there is always variation car by car, but you get the point.

If you're going to be doing paint correction after claying then there is no reason to fear using the aggressive clay- just make sure you don't marr areas you can't polish!

Comment

Meg's aggressive clay has a high potential to marr the paint, which is why Meguiar's, advises it should only be used when the vehicle will be machine polished after claying. Just remember the potential for marring is higher with the aggressive clay.
        Erik Mejia

Polishing Paint removes the stress in my life, and the swirls on my car.

Comment

Richard aka: Octane Guy did write up on an old pickup over yonder on SCD and he used the agressive clay and it marred the paint, which he expected as the paint was filled with embedded particles and needed a good claying. He of course follwed up with a good massaging of the paint and the old truck turned out beautiful.

The site is down otherwise I would have put a link to his write up over at SCD.
          Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Maybe I should just use the more aggressive clay since I don't think I can actually marr the paint worse than it already is.

Comment

An aggressive clay can marr or clay-haze some paint but not all paints, you don't know until you start claying.

It is aggressive and it is in our Professional Line where the expectation is the people using products in our Professional Line have some knowledge and experience for the products and tools they're using or know where to go to get more information as they are working in what we call the Professional Industry.

If an aggressive clay or any clay mars or hazes the finish, then these defects will need to be removed using some kind of compound, paint cleaner or cleaner/polish.

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I suppose if for some reason M83 wouldn't take the marring out, there is always M105 by hand...

An excuse to get some I mean, lol

Comment

I use the aggressive clay occasionally on the vehicles that will undergo a paint correction.

From experience, the marring left behind is pretty mild - M80 and a polishing pad took it out, but I'm sure that something milder could have been used.

The aggressive clay is hardly the paint gouger as some make it out as.

I'm planning to do a test to show the least aggressive way to remove the marring after using the aggressive clay.
                  Chris
                  Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');