• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing spider cracks on hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing spider cracks on hood

I recently purchased a new hood for my car since it was dented. It looks great when I purchased it but I felt a slight crack on the hood but I didnt think it was a big deal. I took it home and today I decided to wash/clay/polish it to see if theres anything going on with the hood. I realized there was and its this weird spider crack on it. (possibly from something falling on it) but then something tells me its more then something falling on it. can anyone tell me whats going with it? and more importantly, how to REMOVE IT?

Re: Removing spider cracks on hood

Bad news...that looks like irreversible damage to the paint with actual paint cracking.

The only remedy for that is to re-paint the hood. Sorry for the bad news...

Comment

what if I go over it with touch up paint then buff off the top layer to make it less noticeable? it looks near flawless other than the paint cracking..

Comment

Bad problem and tough fix.

Top coating will only make it worse, sand and polish afterwards and you will only have a worse spot.

It looks like solvent lift by someone placing a solvent wet pad for a while or wet solvent accidentally poured on it?

Short of the whole repaint you can only start with 400 wet dry and wetsand to the metal (perhaps the primer if lucky). Then spot prime with a high build primer like Duplicolor sandable primer. Block out with 400 and or 1000 grit.

You can minimize the area by masking the affected area out about 2 inches past the bad spot before priming.

Then top coat and wet sand with 2500 then APPLY An CLEAR COAT over a slightly large area and buff in about a few days (assuming spray can lacquer).

LOOKS LIKE A SPOT FOR A RACING STRIPE OR DECAL??

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');