• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When Washing/QDing doesn't cut it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Washing/QDing doesn't cut it?

I noticed sometimes there are some yellow/green bug poop, pollen, or other dirt spots that are pretty stubborn to get off the paint. The one's I'm talking about are illustrated in this thread. I'll do a full wash, rinse about 4 times, and go over once with a mitt (least invasive method) and the stuff will still be on the paint. I'll even finish drying and it will STILL be on the paint. So sometimes I'll use Last Touch right after to remove any water spots/dirt that is still on. Most of the time this works, but there's been a few times when the dirt is STILL on the paint.

In this case, I usually just leave it alone and it will probably come off anyway but do you guys suggest any other way to remove it? I refrain from making a bunch of passes or pressing down on the cloth/wash mitt in an effort to use the least invasive method that I learned from Mike Phillips. Do you guys ever resort to pressing down a little to get off tougher spots or is it smart to wait it out like I've been doing? Thanks.

By the way, I'm not talking about heavy caked on dirt. I'm just talking about a couple stubborn spots here and there.
    -HealthyCivic
    Check out the glossary

Re: When Washing/QDing doesn't cut it?

So the spots look like this?

(Pictures from the thread you linked to)

Can you chip or scrape these spots off with your fingernail?

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

i have noticed that before too. a slight dirt film left over or water spots that would wash off if a little more pressure was used or several passes. Mike, it reminds me of the pics you posted of dirty water spots on your trcuk a week or so ago

Comment

i get alot of these too! especially since i have a white truck, it is very noticeable. these come off by chipping away at them w/ my fingernail or rubbing it w/ my wash mitt. but is there a better way to remove them?

Comment

Bug poop that’s not particularly water soluble is very common here in SoCal.

QD’ing barely touches it and washing may or may not remove it depending on your shampoo and how large/dried-on the specks are.

Clay should take it right off. So will a paint cleaner, cleaner/wax or bug&tar remover. You’ll want to wax afterward so it’s an ideal use for a cleaner/wax.

PC.

Comment

Yeah Mike, that's the stuff!

Is fingernailing it off safe?
            -HealthyCivic
            Check out the glossary

Comment

Clay time!!!

Comment

Originally posted by VonLego View Post
                Clay time!!!
                Well this stuff gets on between every wash. Does this mean I gotta clay every week?
                -HealthyCivic
                Check out the glossary

Comment

Originally posted by HealthyCivic View Post
                  Well this stuff gets on between every wash. Does this mean I gotta clay every week?
                  If it's in the air where you park your car then there's not much you can do outside of covering the car somehow...

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I'd make sure to have a solid LSP on at all times, at least once a month application. If the dirt is thick right before you wax, might want to give it a clay.

Do you have a garage or something you can use? If not perhaps its time to start chopping down trees or plants attracting bugs! Ok that might be extreme... May have to clay every LSP application though.

Comment

I get those little buggers too Keeping a fresh coat of wax applied (monthly it seems in my case) allows a QD product to remove them easily. Using the fingernail works on some of the crispy ones, but it tweaks my gut to remove them in that manner. In a pinch, using my fingernail behind a MF cloth will often pop them loose. On the horizontal surfaces, letting the QD sit a little longer seems to help....assuming the surface is cool.

Mort

Comment

When I get those spots I use a liberal amount of qd on them. Let it dwell for a while. Then they come off easily. Then after I pretreat these areas. I use fresh m/f to qd the rest of the vehicle.
                        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Plastic razor blades might help too.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');