• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

d151 left holograms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• d151 left holograms

I tried out my makita rotary for the first time last night on an old hood. i actually did some wetsanding with 1500 and 2000 grit paper. i removed the sanding marks with 105, then used 151 on one of the makita's polishing pads. it looked absolutely great, i was really impressed. about half an hour later a buddy came over to look at it. i wanted to show him how easy i thought the rotary was to use. so i take the same pad and use a little more 151 on a small area. when i got done we examined the work and it was like the light just exploded on the paint. i'm not really sure what happened. i took some more 105 and used the pad i had previously used and that took care of it. the only thing i can think of would be reusing the pad, but it had only been about 30 minutes. any ideas?

Re: d151 left holograms

Originally posted by sudsbyhubbs View Post
    I tried out my makita rotary for the first time last night on an old hood. i actually did some wetsanding with 1500 and 2000 grit paper. i removed the sanding marks with 105, then used 151 on one of the makita's polishing pads. it looked absolutely great, i was really impressed. about half an hour later a buddy came over to look at it. i wanted to show him how easy i thought the rotary was to use. so i take the same pad and use a little more 151 on a small area. when i got done we examined the work and it was like the light just exploded on the paint. i'm not really sure what happened. i took some more 105 and used the pad i had previously used and that took care of it. the only thing i can think of would be reusing the pad, but it had only been about 30 minutes. any ideas?
    Only the most experienced rotary users can produce a 100% swirl free finish. I always follow up with a DA polisher just to be sure they are all out.

What pad were you using Foam/wool, cutting/polishing?

Rasky
    Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

well when i used the 151 the first time it was almost perfect. it was only after the second time that i got the holograms. the pad was like a cutting/polishing.

Comment

Re: d151 left holograms Oct 17th, 2008, 06:42 AM

so i take the same pad and use a little more 151 on a small area. when i got done we examined the work and it was like the light just exploded on the paint. I'm not really sure what happened.
        How did you inspect your results each time?

Move the car into the sun?
        Use a swirl finder light?

General comments...

Controlling the variables
        Like Rasky said, creating an absolute swirl-free finish with a rotary buffer is an art form, and besides the factors of pads, products and your skills and abilities, another factor is always the paint itself, some paints polish better than others. So trying to create an absolute swirl-free finish using only a rotary buffer can be done but only when all the factors are working in your favor.

Skills and Abilities
        The date of this thread, (the one you're reading right now), is Oct 17th, 2008, 06:42 AM

The date of this thread,

New Makita

is Oct 14th, 2008, 10:38 AM

You've owned your rotary buffer for 3 days. You can learn a lot in 3 days but probably not mastering the rotary buffer with a few products, a few pads, (the two pads that came with the Makita), buffing out a few cars. But you're off to a great start!

Wool or fiber pads
        Besides that, finishing with a foam pad over a fiber pad is a huge benefit because a foam pad offers a uniform surface with a even consistency, (look at a foam finishing pad and look and feel how soft and gentle the foam is), while finishing with ANY kind of 'fiber' pad, whether a wool cutting pad or a wool 'finishing' pad, you have mass individual fibers cutting the paint. The fibers themselves are a type of abrasive and will tend to leave swirls or circular cuts in the paint when rotated against the paint under pressure.

So try switching to a foam buffing pad for any finishing work.

Production Products
        D151 is a strong cleaner/wax developed for production detailing. It's not a swirl removing finishing product although it can be used for this when used the right way.

Dual Action Polishers
        To insure a swirl free finish, most Pros do their last or second-to-last machine steps using a dual action polisher with a polishing or finishing pad and a light cleaner/polish or cleaner/wax.

By switching to a dual action polisher you switch to a machine where you're dramatically changing the action of the machine and this action is one of oscillating under the freedom of a clutch versus forced rotating by a rotary buffer. And it is the changing of the action of the tool that changes the type of abrading action on the surface that will enable you to remove light swirls and leave a flat finish. Not flat in like dull, but flat like in smooth without swirls.

Hope this helps...

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

i wasn't intending on having the 151 be the final product. just curious why it would go on good under a xenon light the first time, then after the second application have some holograms.

Comment

i wasn't intending on having the 151 be the final product. just curious why it would go on good under a xenon light the first time, then after the second application have some holograms.
            Did you spur or wash your pad for the second time? You always have to work clean.

Are you sure there weren't swirls the first time and you just didn't see them?

D151 is a wax so it does have the ability to fill in it's own swirls?

Without being there I can't say for sure but I invested some time into my first post to help explain and suggest the process and problems and even solution.

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

hopefully i didn't give the impression that i had "mastered" the rotary after 3 days. this was the first time i used it, i liked it, i haven't been able to examine the hood in the sun as i finished at 9:00 last night and it's not on a car. i do appreciate the time you took to explain a lot of things the other day mike. that's one of the great things about this forum. i was just curious if anyone else had seen this same thing with 151. it was probably just user error.

Comment

it was probably just user error.
                Or one of these,

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Wool or fiber pads
                Besides that, finishing with a foam pad over a fiber pad is a huge benefit because a foam pad offers a uniform surface with a even consistency, (look at a foam finishing pad and look and feel how soft and gentle the foam is), while finishing with ANY kind of 'fiber' pad, whether a wool cutting pad or a wool 'finishing' pad, you have mass individual fibers cutting the paint. The fibers themselves are a type of abrasive and will tend to leave swirls or circular cuts in the paint when rotated against the paint under pressure.

So try switching to a foam buffing pad for any finishing work.

Production Products
                D151 is a strong cleaner/wax developed for production detailing. It's not a swirl removing finishing product although it can be used for this when used the right way.
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

thanks for the tips mike.

Comment

Just my 2p worth

Although I haven't used D151 before the following is what we do with each and every product more or less.

When you finish with a polisher/pad it's best to switch the machine on speed 1 and brush the pad, this removes any remains of polish and so it won't dry in "clumps".

When using the rotary try varying the speed as follows: -

Speed 1 to spread product
                    Speed 2 for a couple of passes
                    Speed 3 for 8 to 10 passes or until product is clear (inspect now & again)
                    Speed 2 for another 5 or 6 passes to refine finish
                    Inspect and repeat as required

Bryan

Comment

i wasn't intending on having the 151 be the final product.
                      Then why are you using a one step product then?
                      I can see using D151 with a polishing pad to remove major defects then using it with a finishing pad to refine the finish, but to use it as a compound then top with some other type of protection kills the point of D151.

If it's bad and you wish to use another LSP, why not use a dedicated compound/polish first?

I can't figure out the misuse of a one stepper with it's name clearly stated.
                      www.clean4udetailing.com

Comment

IMO, I have found my halogen lights to be better at showing swirls/holograms than my dual xenon light. Rarley will I have sunlight to inspect my test spots.
                        Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

i used 105 first, then used 151. this is just a practice hood, i'm not going to put any wax on it at all right now. the whole point for my post was to see if anyone knew why after one pass of 151 with no swirls or holograms would show some holograms on the second pass. after the first pass i used a xenon light and a halogen light and didn't see any swirls or holograms.

Comment

Well, you said you used Makita's pad. We have no idea about the pores per inch, the softness, or basically anything about that pad. Remember, it's just not the chemical doing the work.........it's also the pad. I've noticed that you have to make sure all of 105's residue is off of the panel or you basically have sand sitting on the paint. You may have also worked 151 to long and dry buffed the paint. Dry it again and use a pad that we know about like a Meg's finishing pad. Remember, 151 is a wax. You don't want to work it till it starts to vanish. Not good.

Let us know!
                            www.clean4udetailing.com

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');